MASTER HUNTER EXCELLENT, MHX

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: MASTER HUNTER EXCELLENT, MHX

Postby slistoe » Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 am

I think you understand them quite well - ribbons for everyone.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue May 18, 2010 7:10 am

-You sound like a real Field Trialer Jon, in that vein of thinking, we must all be rubbing off on ya.

Yep, when you run against a standard things can get fairly blasse',

Trialing: running against a quality line up of dogs, head to head, eyeball to eyeball (no blinkin'), nose to nose in a fierce struggle for run/find perfection and a WIN, it brings out the best of the best, gets the blood pumpin',
Now you're thinking like a FT guy...Hey there's a Walkin' horse for sale on the list, get your checkbook out, maybe we'll see you at the AMES Plantation..!? I'll Scout faya...I speak Wooley.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Don't hold your breath, Steve. Besides for the price of that horse, I can hunt for 2 weeks in ND!!!...THAT DECISION IS A NO BRAINER!!

DD's aren't trial dogs..."Mans gotta know his limitations"...doesn't mean they can't show a little style... and manners on game is everything for me. Besides, I can shave the beard but I haven't figured out how to get the rest of the tail back on :lol:
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby uplander1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Steve:

You know, the AKC puts the burden of setting the quality of Judges on the CLUBs. They specifically state to perspective event secretarys and chairman, to find able, well rounded, qualified individuals to Judge their events, it's the Clubs decision.
I wonder if you go through the list of clubs who is at the top? Is it conformation, agility enthusiats or is it those that are hunting enthusiasts? I t would be interesting to see as I would bet depending on whom is the secretary and chairperson are might reflect in the type of judges a test secures?

Your statement of would you want to hunt behind this dog while is a vaild one is not really one that you can apply . The real world may dictate that when hunting wild game you just might shoot a pheasant that gets out and wild flushes or you may shoot a timberdoodle or grouse your dog pointed and then went in on. You may want your dog to have a delayed chase on a bird. You may want your dog to break at the shot to recover game. Would I want to hunt behind a dog like this that produces birds you bet I would. My point is that the AKC tests while they do serve a purpose is not a place to ask would you want to hunt behind a this dog as the operative word is "hunt", which is the furthest thing that an AKC test is.
uplander1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:33 am

you may shoot a timberdoodle or grouse your dog pointed and then went in on. You may want your dog to have a delayed chase on a bird. You may want your dog to break at the shot to recover game. Would I want to hunt behind a dog like this that produces birds you bet I would.

NO...not me...YOU certainly may. If this is your template just don't TEST. You won't PASS.

Maybe I would NOT like to spend a lazy afternoon shooting behind such dogs, my choice.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby uplander1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:59 pm

NO...not me...YOU certainly may. If this is your template just don't TEST. You won't PASS

My template is to hunt more often than test, a lot more. With hunting wild birds they do not stay where they are placed. They are not placed in wide open fields where you can see them fall. They do the unexpected they may run, they may flush wild. Heck you may go an entire day without seeing a single bird. The cover may be so think you can not see 5 feet in front of you. Things do not always work out the way you read about them in the books.
uplander1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:32 pm

My template is to hunt more often than test,

So THERE you have it.....CAKE and you can eat it too....

Don't fret it,
leave the testing and trialing to us fellas who enjoy the events,
it fills the large gaps between our short HUNTING seasons, (as I've explained before)
Preaching to the choir about wild birds, HOWEVER, manners are MANNERS, a well trained Pointing Dog is AS important as good grounds, good birds and good shooting in my world.

As I just sent off an e-mail to my hunting buddies in prep for our upcoming group hunt......

When we hunt wild birds, my A-TEAMers and mysefffff, our dogs are working on autopilot, MANNERFUL, polite, respectful of us and the chase, we just take in the views and try to shoot straight...
A well handled, pointed, shot wild bird, bagged, even TASTEs better, methinks. 8)

BEAUTY is a JOY to behold....UGLY is just plain UGLY.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby uplander1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Sorry but I am not a cake eater. Nor am I a fretter. Testing and trialing while they are a great venue to fill the voids between hunting season is nothing closely resembling hunting.
Preaching to the choir about wild birds, HOWEVER, manners are MANNERS, a well trained Pointing Dog is AS important as good grounds, good birds and good shooting in my world
. True manners are manners, do your dogs work on wild birds like they do with planted birds? Come on be honest.
When we hunt wild birds, my A-TEAMers and mysefffff, our dogs are working on autopilot, MANNERFUL, polite, respectful of us and the chase, we just take in the views and try to shoot straight...
What is an A teamer?
A well handled, pointed, shot wild bird, bagged, even TASTEs better, methinks
. It certainly does taste better!

BEAUTY is a JOY to behold....UGLY is just plain UGLY.
. Beauty my man is in the eye of the beholder.
uplander1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:11 am

Yo uplandguy

Have a bran muffin...you're far too uptight about your loose dogs. If your dogs bump break chase knock or whatever, if it suits you...that's all that matters. Why do you need to compare and contrast, not needed, go into your bird woods this year, have fun, shoot straight, get the dogs off the couch.

What I/we/my A-TEAM and my circle hold as a standard doesn't interfere with your day in the woods, I assure you.

What's an A-TEAM? I honestly think that in this country MILITARY SERVICE should be mandatory, if for nothing else but to get young folks heads together. (IMHO)

Wild birds vs planted? A staunch point izzz a staunch point my brother, in the "planted" birdfield or deep in the alder forest. Little difference with my bunch.

Testing-all types, if it doesn't suit you FINE, don't run. You may never see me working a Border Collie thru a herding course, but it doesn't mean I feel the need to knock em.
(actually, I think the herding group testing is awesome stuff, just not my forte')

I wonder if I can get one to POINT.... 8)
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ckirsch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 am

Steve Anker wrote:Yo uplandguy

Have a bran muffin...you're far too uptight about your loose dogs. If your dogs bump break chase knock or whatever, if it suits you...that's all that matters. Why do you need to compare and contrast, not needed, go into your bird woods this year, have fun, shoot straight, get the dogs off the couch.

What I/we/my A-TEAM and my circle hold as a standard doesn't interfere with your day in the woods, I assure you.

What's an A-TEAM? I honestly think that in this country MILITARY SERVICE should be mandatory, if for nothing else but to get young folks heads together. (IMHO)

Wild birds vs planted? A staunch point izzz a staunch point my brother, in the "planted" birdfield or deep in the alder forest. Little difference with my bunch.

Testing-all types, if it doesn't suit you FINE, don't run. You may never see me working a Border Collie thru a herding course, but it doesn't mean I feel the need to knock em.
(actually, I think the herding group testing is awesome stuff, just not my forte')

I wonder if I can get one to POINT.... 8)

Amen......
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Alex V » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:51 pm

I couldn"t put it better myself. :D
Gota love them pointing dawgz
Alex V
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby uplander1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 am

Wll donlt you Alex V why don't you try to put it better yourself. You can thnk for ourself no?
uplander1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue May 15, 2012 7:06 am

Gene Nelson once told me that the way he looks at it, every dogs starts the brace with straight tens. Throughout the course is when the deductions are noted, and after the run is completed he gives an honest evaluation in accordance with the standard.

TENS? PERFECT? Well, we use the sorta same proceedure, 'cept we start with- Every dog gets straight SEVENs to start, a passing score. Then as we go 'round we either add to or take away a point or so as we run through the test, provided all the req'ts are being met, and based on the general standards.

PASS or FAIL, you'll know.....the scores are just for critique at times.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Serious breeders often shoot for the highest levels of testing so if water, tracking (blood would be nice), and blind retrieves were added maybe it would promote more versatility among some of the AKC breeds.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Hey ....??

Whatzziss I hear about another classification of testing?
Did all my yappin pay off?
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs