AKC Hunt Test

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

ouch

Postby gezer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:02 pm

VB, Grasshopper must learn that you never fight one marine....semper fi
Ron, handler of 27 meat dogs and proud owner of 2 chest freezers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 am

ROSS- TMI, my brother!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Wanted to get some others exp. with AKC Hunt test...I have never tested my dogs before...owned an trained lots of fine meat dogs. Been to a couple of test thus far and have been really impressed with the Judges, Test coordinators and grounds...I am working my 12 month old GWP to JH right now...I had always heard JH was not anything to brag about, but after seeing the amount of dogs with NQ's next to thier names I think the judges are really going by the book...some bad senting conditions during the few I have been to really separated the noses out....Did see some show folks trying to title thier dogs but conditions were hard on very good field stock so most NQ'd...Did see a couple show dogs that had some great prey drive and noses...I guess bottom line was for sporting dogs at least the show folks were there, getting the dogs on birds and that has always got to be a good thing...Also made some great contacts and networking opertunities to work dogs in other training areas and meet some wonderful people who really love thier dogs....show folks and field folks together..... thoughts

Ron,
My experience with Hunt tests was not good. 90% of the dogs I have seen can't get out of their own way and are not encouraged to get out and hunt. Most never get beyond 50-70 yds from the handler---it seems to me to be a game where not making mistakes is more important than "gittin after it".

If I were you, I'd get let the dog run and then start with some walking FT and see how it goes. You can always come back to the UT and VC later. Maybe there are some MH venues where the dogs really get out and hunt but I haven't seen them.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kyle » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Vom Britt wrote:Gezer,
but wonder if Kyle was warned for calling out this ol fossil to a wrestling match

Bob
I did not get reprimanded. I was being facetious with the wrestling challenge. Obviously you did not pick up on the sarcasm. I am not in any shape to do wrestling challenges either.

You reopened an argument that was already deleted by the administrators. I did not get to see your response. I am curious what your motive is for calling me out on a public forum?
Kyle
Kyle
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Blue River » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:00 pm

D+B,
I just ran both my GWP's in a hunt test last weekend (16 month old passed senior both days, 3 year old failed both days) and all four braces I ran in had dogs that scooted. Mine were out past 200 yards quite a bit. I also gunned in masters and all the dogs I saw there got up and went..., except for the Spinone!! The poor brit he was running with stole point after an excellent brace. He didn't know he was supposed to back horses too!!
If it doesn't have a beard, it's not a whole dog!
Blue River
Master Poster
Master Poster

hunt test

Postby gezer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Jon, thanx for the thoughts and good advise...I have been to many so far,(about 8-10 since post) I have seen some (I will not call out the breeds) that really should have stayed in the show ring...but I can honestly say I did see quite a few very nice big running (Not to far for a young foothunter), strong gundogs...in the SH and MH level you see less of the mixed bag and more solid performers...I would love to see water work added to test for breeds that are vdawgs...IMO if the test is sponced by GWP or GSP or other vdawg club they should be allowed to add these elements to the test...walking FT....good idea...I am really leaning to run Brutus in NA...then UT...Also SH and MH
Blue River congrats on your young dogs great work
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Kyle, I will PM you.
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:41 pm

DB,
Must be the east coast dogs or the tests you were entered in or watched. I have run my dogs in all levels of AKC hunt tests for the past dozen years in WI. & MN. and haven't seen anything close to the precentages you have mentioned. In fact I have seen just the opposite, 90% of the dogs I have been braced up with hunted hard but not always for the gun.
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

test

Postby gezer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 pm

VB, what do you think about waterwork added to test run by vdawg breed clubs...I know GWP's and a couple other breeds require water test for SH/MH...but I would like to see a duck search...and retrieve be included in the test....thoughts....We have a GWP guy in the AKC now in charge of FT/HT...maybe we can bend his ear
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deb » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:37 pm

VB, what do you think about waterwork added to test run by vdawg breed clubs...I know GWP's and a couple other breeds require water test for SH/MH...but I would like to see a duck search...and retrieve be included in the test....thoughts....We have a GWP guy in the AKC now in charge of FT/HT...maybe we can bend his ear

Well Gezer, I'm not the person asked but, I do have an opinion on this topic.

Personally, I think the current GWP water test should be removed. It doesn't prove anything about the dog and it's a large barrier to those trying to finish a dog in senior or master hunter in an area without a local GWP club. I would assume it's the same for those competing in field trials. That leaves going to the GWPCA Nationals to do the water test and, it's one thing to go to Nationals to do a water test and compete to become the next NFC or NAFC - it's quite another to travel a great distance to fetch a pigeon thrown about 20 yards (maybe) to get your SH or MH.

If the GWPCA wants to prove the water work in GWPs make it a separate test that doesn't penalize people trying to do something with their dogs in an area without a GWP club. Also, speaking from experience (I've been the hunt test secretary for the local GWP club for the past five years) - there isn't time at an AKC hunt test to do a duck search and we don't have judges capable of evaluating it well. If you want to do a duck search, join NAVHDA and let their judges evaluate you. They have been trained, very well, to do this.

Deb

BTW - NAVHDA was the main testing venue for my GWPs, so I do know the NAVHDA testing program and what is involved in a good duck search, very well.
Deb
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:48 am

Veeedawgers-

Folks say I have test-itous, we've run everything from the VC to Am Field to Bird Dog Challenges to AKC stuff, not much we have not paticipated in with our dogs (GSPs & Longtailers)-
However-
Testing by its very nature was initiated to give us a baseline of functionality and some certification of a sporting dogs ability afield. For certain it is not the sole judge of a dogs ability but some basic gauge in defining what a dog in the field should be doing. Is all testing flawless? NO. Is all testing an end all be all litmus for a dogs true ability? NO, absolutely not. AKC, HT/FT, NAVHDA and American Field are time honored institutions where we gauge our dogs against a standard and on occasion against each other (FT). [or tail length- for you yawallac] :D

NAVHDAs idea was to TEST in order to establish a registry of dogs, by breed, to use as a reference for future breeding and promotion of solid field stock. 8)

Water tests? Having handled/Judged at water tests, yeah, the requirements are VERY basic. However, you'd be shocked to see the number of dogs that could not fulfill the requirements.

Personally- I like the idea of a water certification for ALL sporting breeds,
not just the Woolies and a few target breeds. We (our local GSP Club) fought with the GSPCA to try to get it reinstalled for GSPs, (no change) but they did agree to a separate CERTIFICATION which is not required for title purposes and we ran at the first of these "NEW" Water tests.

Anybody feel the same?

I'll buckle my chinstrap for responses......got my mouthpiece in too...
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Blue River » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 am

I think that all sporting dogs should have to pass it too Steve. My problem is that if/when I finish a dog in SH/MH, as deb said, I am going to have to drive way too far to find a test. It would be nice if they had the water test as an optional event at some AKC hunt tests. My dogs (GWP) can't test with the local group that puts on hunt tests because they are a GSP club. I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on gas to watch my dog do a basic retrieve that it has been doing since it was 12 weeks old :roll:
If it doesn't have a beard, it's not a whole dog!
Blue River
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Blue River wrote:I really don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on gas to watch my dog do a basic retrieve that it has been doing since it was 12 weeks old :roll:

The typical GWP Water Test is a basic retrieve that most puppies can handle with no problems. If you want to get your gas money's worth of GWP Water Test, go to the TCGWP club where they have taken upon themselves to make the test a NAVHDA type retrieve.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Hey Blue-

Having a wiskered dog you should look up the Del Val Wire Club,
Nice bunch of hairy faced dog owners,
they usually hold a water test yearly, matter of fact I Judged for them in Colliers Mill, NJ last summer (by Great Adventure/Fort Dix)
oughtta save you some driving.....

Yeah, it seems a bit like extortion to make you have to Q before you get your SH/MH.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

water

Postby gezer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 pm

Steve....I like the water cert idea....but it must be more than a simple swim...would like to see duck search...and retrieves...of simulated shot ducks....
Deb....I like NAVHDA...but where I live test are far and few between....you folk north of the mason dixon have many more options
I am trying to find a good place to run my young male wire in NA that I don't have to drive 900 miles to test
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs