AKC Hunt Test

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

AKC Hunt Test

Postby gezer » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Wanted to get some others exp. with AKC Hunt test...I have never tested my dogs before...owned an trained lots of fine meat dogs. Been to a couple of test thus far and have been really impressed with the Judges, Test coordinators and grounds...I am working my 12 month old GWP to JH right now...I had always heard JH was not anything to brag about, but after seeing the amount of dogs with NQ's next to thier names I think the judges are really going by the book...some bad senting conditions during the few I have been to really separated the noses out....Did see some show folks trying to title thier dogs but conditions were hard on very good field stock so most NQ'd...Did see a couple show dogs that had some great prey drive and noses...I guess bottom line was for sporting dogs at least the show folks were there, getting the dogs on birds and that has always got to be a good thing...Also made some great contacts and networking opertunities to work dogs in other training areas and meet some wonderful people who really love thier dogs....show folks and field folks together..... thoughts
Ron, handler of 27 meat dogs and proud owner of 2 chest freezers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hunters Edge » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:08 pm

Thoughts are good but the follow through if it is like here in SE Michigan it is non existent. I have seen many show dogs now trying to get more involved into hunt tests and NAVHDA testing which is good for the breeds but they are few, that follow through unfortunately. At least it is a start and also it is in the right direction but again the follow through seems lacking because to be honest show people well hunt tests are not show rings lets face it. Also they usually hire out to the ring for professional handlers and I see many professional handlers try to handle in the hunt tests and lets just say they need a lot of practice. Thats ok though I just see many that do no return, which is unfortunate for the breeds and the clubs. Just what I have seen up here SE MICHIGAN
Hunters Edge Kennel where Versatile Champions are born. Call on expected whelped dates or breedings, hunters only, please.
Hunters Edge
Master Poster
Master Poster

agree

Postby gezer » Sun May 18, 2008 6:40 pm

HE, You are right...seems to me if a show person has the bucks to hire out for ring then they need to put the bucks in the field also...not that I am against someone who shows running dogs in test....but I think the venues are so differrent you would do a decent dog injustice by having a show handler run the dog just to get the JH or NA done on a dog...folks could be missing out on some decent stock because it not getting out where the avid hunters play...good post...appreciate your thoughts...cheers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am

Ron,

I am surprised that you are JH testing your young dog. The only advice I can give you for JH is, it is a good way to get your feet wet but you may see your dogs pointing starting to go south. If it does forget about the JH title and start preparing for the SH. SH testing IMO is a great way for beginners and seasoned testers alike to have fun with their dogs and to have a good shot at one of those orange ribbons. I belong to the TCGWPC and have run my dogs in every level of the clubs tests for a number of years. Unlike HE, I have not seen Pro show handlers testing clients dogs, then again I do not know any of them but am sure I would have heard something about their handling. But, I have seen a number of Pro field trainers handling clients dogs, one in fact could fill a test. Personally, I would not take any pleasure with a title someone else earned handling my dog no matter the game.
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby yawallac » Fri May 30, 2008 8:36 am

Unlike HE, I have not seen Pro show handlers testing clients dogs...

Me neither!!

Oh wait, I did see a 50-something, blue-haired, polished booted, red lipped, nasty perfumed, lady handler with a real shiney whistle recently. Nevermind, I forgot, that was a NAVHDA judge!! :shock:
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Fri May 30, 2008 7:17 pm

You brought a smile to my face with your last post :) It reminded me of a lady handler years back, dressed to the max in brand new expensive yuppie type hunting clothes, boots, hat & smelling like she was going out on a date, testing her dog that weekend. I have also seen a number of guys dressed to the hilt & always wonder if they have ever been hunting in or around a tag alder edge. But on the positive side they are testing their dogs.
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby yawallac » Fri May 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Vom Britt,

I like to make people smile. :D

Man, when I was young I used to dress up for the NAVHDA tests. Barbour coat, Browning Kangaroos, Filson Tin cloth pants, special leather studded belt, even had silk undies... :D

Now, it's a pair of relaxed-fit jeans, Walmart boots and whatever clean shirt I can find. :lol:

Pretty funny hunting with my 24yo this season; Barbour coat, Browning Kangaroos, Filson Tin cloth pants, special leather studded belt, probably even had silk undies... :D
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Fri May 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Callaway, Pa- leeeese, Silk UNDIEs!!!!!! If you ever had to much to drink and passed out, ok fell asleep, at our grouse camp and we knew you had silk undies on, the boys would have some fun :oops: :oops:
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

right

Postby gezer » Fri May 30, 2008 9:12 pm

VB, Ross warned me about JH also.....I think you are right.....judge really liked Brutus ....he was really doing well on his steadiness....did well on the test...but agree it was a couple steps back for him....I think it would have been better for a 5-8 month old dog...with little to no training under its belt....I agree the SH is a better measure...lots of stuff to cause you to pick up a dog....clean runs are really tough...I always hear good stuff about you and your dogs....who love to hit some ruff honeyhole's with you someday...they were my specialty in Alaska.....cheers ron
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Fri May 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Callaway, Pa- leeeese, Silk UNDIEs!!!!!!

Dude!! They were camo!!! That doesn't count for something???? :lol:
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Sat May 31, 2008 7:57 am

Ross,

Up nort in the Wi. backwoods it wouldn't matter if they were camo :roll:
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Sat May 31, 2008 8:18 am

Ron, no doubt you will do what is best for you and your dogs that is for sure. Thanks for the compliment. I know what I prefer in a wire and am trying to breed to my preferences, not a club or organizations standard. Now if I could take what I like from NAVHDA, AKC, CKC, AF, and VDD dogs and put it in a pup, I believe I would have the perfect dog for me :wink:
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

howdy

Postby gezer » Sat May 31, 2008 9:16 pm

VB, did we get a entire page of ours swacked from the GWP/DD thread?
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Sat May 31, 2008 9:30 pm

Up nort in the Wi. backwoods it wouldn't matter if they were camo

Yeah, I have heard that about you guys!!! :shock:
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Vom Britt » Sat May 31, 2008 10:35 pm

Gezer,

Yes we did. Christi sent me a PM letting me know she would not permit things to get out of hand & basically warned me about my butt head comment, everything else in my post was OK with her. E-mailed her back letting her know I wasn't calling Kyle a butt head and was using his "butting heads" statement as a reference. Christi's cool with everything on my end but wonder if Kyle was warned for calling out this ol fossil to a wrestling match instead of bracing up with one of his dogs. Still shaking my head over that one :roll:
Vom Britt
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs