Hunt test next weekend JH

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hunt test next weekend JH

Postby gezer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:14 pm

I am running my 11 month old wire in a hunt test next weekend for JH....this is my first time running in a test....trained and hunted alot of meat dogs but this is my first attempt at testing one of my dogs....any words of wisdom?
Ron, handler of 27 meat dogs and proud owner of 2 chest freezers
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JuliaH » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:32 am

Good luck with her Gezer... she is a pretty girl! We will be there next weekend too, with Rose :) Excited and nervous about how she will do with having to listen to me!

Julia
Julia & Karl Heidbrink
Barnesville GA
http://www.buggytownbirddogs.com/gsp-ancestry.html
JuliaH
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:35 am

Ron:

Just have fun and go with the flow. Your pup's score means little but the experience is worth a lot. You'll meet lots of nice folks and their nice dogs which may make you to want to come back.

Good luck.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

thanx

Postby gezer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:10 pm

Julia/Orhunter..thanx...I am looking forward to seeing how wverything goes...she is a fine dog and I am just glad I am her owner....wanted to clarify my meat dogs statement...they have all been outstanding dogs...GWP's, I hunted them all the time in Alaska and they did very well in all situations....never felt the need to test them...The last couple of dogs I have got have some great blood in them (my ealier dogs were awesome, but thier breeders kind of felt the same way I did...if your dog does what you want it to do why do you need validation of that), so I want to see if the talent that I see potntially in my dogs is valid based upon what I see other dogs do...Bottom line is Dog will do fine, I will see some things that I have done wrong of can improve upon and utimatley get my 2 young dogs better and better
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby snicklefritz » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:18 pm

Consider your entry fee a donation, and the experience an education for you and your dog. Take the heat off yourself and your dog. Enjoy!
"When the sh*t hits the fan, you will not rise to the occasion. You will fight the way you trained."
snicklefritz
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:19 pm

Gezer:

Nothin' wrong with a meat dog. That's all I ever want......so far.....

That's why the GWP, PP, WPG exist.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

right

Postby gezer » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:42 pm

Orhunter....you are spot on...all my dogs have been special...I still have one of my original 'Meat Dogs" she is a GWP and is 13...I think I have shot several hundred ruff, spruce, shartail and ptarmigan grouse over her...jump shot some duck and did some snowshoes in some pretty cold weather with her....she is retired but has been a very good mentor to the 2 young dogs.......you are absolutely right ...meat dogs, keeping the freezer full of birds and being great companions is where its at....Orhunter you ever get up to Yakima Indian reservation...I have heard there is some awesome hunting there...would like to come out west (I use to live in N. Cali and got spoiled on pheasants, valley adn moutian quail) and hunt soem chukar, pheasants, and quail...getting ready to do the bobwhite here....love them also
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

outstanding

Postby gezer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Ran my 11 month ould GWP yesterday and today JH....I messed her up yesterday as I did not know a couple things I was suppose to do, but she ran well, took here today and I got my stuff together and she nail some outstanding points and finds...real bad senting conditions (It is dry as a bone here in Ga) but my dog blew me away...had a pro handler tell me how good she did and reiterated to me that most problems on test are handler realted and not the dog....I think her is right as I really messed up sat. but did real well today.....good expieirnce overall
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JuliaH » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:44 am

Hi Ron,

It was good to see you there :) Rose and I had fun as well, and she had a great time in the field :)

Julia
Julia & Karl Heidbrink
Barnesville GA
http://www.buggytownbirddogs.com/gsp-ancestry.html
JuliaH
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Hunt tests are exciting for you and the dog, give you a measure of where your dog is with respect to what the test expects, and you get to meet a lot of like minded folks. Mostly, though, I think they're good because you will ulitmately spend more time with your dog in training year around, not just during the hunting season.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

right on

Postby gezer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Bruce, you are right...met some great folks, saw some very nice dogs and got a better understanding of how I am doing training my dog....she has all the instinct and ability, I just need to channel it in the right direction, thanx for the comments, where do you live in Alaska, I lived in Eagle River for 10 years...shot loads of spruce, ruff, sharptail, and ptamigan....loved it

Julia, I saw your dogs run sat....very nice..give Earl a call he wants to take next hunt test
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:23 am

I'm in Ketchikan.There's some decent duck hunting here but no upland game - too wet ... even for ducks at times.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

birds

Postby gezer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:37 pm

Bruce, if you can get to Delta Junction sometime the shartails are awesoem, Chena Hot shrings for the Ruffs, Palmer for the Spruce/ruff combo, and Kenei or denali highway for the Ptarmigan, getting ready to get some good ole Bobwhite going on here in Ga
gezer
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs