CKC hunt test rule changes?

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

CKC hunt test rule changes?

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:17 pm

I decided to run my dog in a test in a couple of weeks. I haven't done it for a couple of years. I understand there were some changes to the regulations for this year. Anybody know what they are? I'm running her at FD level.

Update, I found what i was looking for.
Humans have televisions. Pointers have birdfeeders
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 pm

db this is right from the book

Desire to Hunt - A field Dog must show a desire to hunt. A perfect score should be awarded to a dog which exhibits continuous work by casting to objectives quickly and independently , hunting without continual encouragement from handler.

Style Running - A dog must check objectives quickly and throughly and exibit a type of movement consistent with its breed. Pottering around objectives should be penalized.

Pace - A perfect score will be given to a well conditioned dog dog which exhibits a consistent pace matched to terrain and weather conditions.

Range - The dog must hunt the course for its handler at all times at a range suitable for a handler on foot, and should chow or check in front of its handler frequently. It must cover adequate ground but never range out of sight or sound for a length of time that would detract from its usefulness as a practical gun dog. Similarly, a dog that is working too closely to the handler should be penalized. A perfect score should be given to a dog , which adjusts range to cover in order to search objectives quickly and thoroughly.

Pattern - Intelligent use of the wind and terrain in locating game is highly desirable. to earn a perfect score, a dog must hunt the field, search the objectives and use the wind and terrain in a manner that shows it recognizes likely game bird cover.

Control - The dog should be under the handler's control at all times. The Field Dog should handle well, responding to commands and movements of the handler without hacking or continuous repetition of commands. Continuous hacking indicates a lack of control.

Pointing - The dog must locate game. Accurate nose style and intensity on point are highly desirable. For a passing mark, the dog must locate game, must point staunchly, and must hold point until the bird flushes wild or is flushed by the handler. For a perfect score, the dog must be steady to the shot. If the bird cannot be shot, a shot will be fired from a blank pistol or the judge may instruct and official gunner to fire in the air. Either intentional flushing or blinking will result in an automatic failure. Sitting or lying down on point while in the act of pointing will result in an automatic failure. To earn a passing score, the FD dog that has multiple game contact must point all of the birds it locates. There will be averaging of scores.

The dog should relocate game that moves out only after the handler encourages it to do so.

Collaring may be permitted at the judges discretion.

Reaction to Shot - A shot will be fired by the handler or official gunner of a caliber not less than .22 long upon the flush of the bird on the course to enable the judge to examine the dog for sensitivity to the gun. The shot is to be fired when a bird is flushed. There must be a shot for every bird. A perfect score would be given to a dog that exhibits alertness and eagerness at the sound of gunfire. A passing grade will be awarded to the dog that softens but doesn't bolt. Gun shyness will be an automatic failure. If the opportunity does not present itself during the time on the course, a call back may be set-up at the judge's discretion to complete the evaluation.

Retrieve on Land - A Field Dog must retrieve a recognized game bird or pigeon on land quickly and tenderly to hand on command for full marks. A dog which retrieves tenderly within hand range in any manner will receive a passing score. Chewing or eating a bird will result in an automatic failure. If the opportunity does not present itself during the time on the course, a call back may be set-up at the judge's discretion to complete the evaluation.

At least 20 and not more than 30 minutes shall be allowed for the dog to complete all aspects of the test. A dog that has not located game may be allowed at the judges discretion of the judge to continue at the discretion of the judge to continue after the course in order to complete all aspects of the test up to the maximum of 30 minutes.
Ryan

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm

I got that bit Ryan, those are the old rules. The only significant change (for some people!) is in the retrieve section. This has been added.

The handler must remain at the point from which
the retrieve was initiated unless permitted to move by the judge.

There are a number of additions to the FDX rules too.
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Those rules were taken off the CKC site a month ago.

I tested 2 years ago and that was the rule in the retrieving bit. You dont move once the dog is sent. You are allowed 1 step to either side or forward but not backwards.
Ryan

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:33 pm

I guess the ckc website gives you the old but you have to pay for the new!

I have a copy of the 2005 printing, it is the same as what you posted.

The changes were made at the Jan. 2007 board meeting. I took them off hte minutes from the meeting that the Quebec director Francois Bernier posted on his director's website. (not his personal site for his kennel).
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Why not just buy them then they are only 20 bucks no?
Ryan

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:39 pm

cuz i bought them 2 yr ago so why pay 20$ again when the added one sentence that is relevant and I got the sentence for free! I'd rather have another case of beer.
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby slistoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:40 pm

There were a number of folks who questioned whether the common interpretation of the "within hand range" really applied and that by strict interpretation they should be allowed to move towards the dog and if they could get an arms length between them and the dog while the dog had the bird it would be appropriate. I was judging on one of the dogs which I failed for the retrieve and my interpretation of the rule was questioned. The wording change was housekeeping to keep those type of folks at bay. They will still keep trying to water down the performances so inadequate dogs can get ribbons. Eventually we will have a tomb for a rule book and everyone will get a ribbon on a judges technicality if they have a good enough "lawyer".
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm

I guess but you would be wasting 50 bucks because of the blown entry fee for failing to do something new. I see you found what your looking for. Did you find out what they added for FDX?
Ryan

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 pm

here is the lot of them...

P o i n t i n g Br e e d s Co u n c i l
# 14-12-05 Moved by Mr. Bernier, “THAT, the Field Dog Test Rules & Regulations, Section 10.1 be amended by adding a
new section effective January 1, 2007, to read as follows:
10 STANDARD OF PERFORMANCE
10.1 Field Dog Junior Test
ADD NEW
10.1.11 With the permission of the judge, collaring is allowed.â€
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby slistoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 pm

The only additional change I know of for FDX was to include allowance for FDX dogs to move to mark the flight of a bird. Rule 10.3.8

OK, I guess this is redundant.
slistoe
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I think they need to be more strict on the retrieving part. A retrieve to hand means you put out your hand and the dog comes and put the bird in your hand. A small movement should be allowed but and all out step towards the dog or stretching out towards a bird should be a failure. The dog should have to hold the bird at all times for you until it gets into your hand. This is Field Dog and Field Dog excellent not Field Dog Junior.

Thanks for the updates db7
Ryan

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:57 pm

common interpretation of the "within hand range"

It was getting kinda crazy. Some people were practically meeting the dog half way on the retrieve.

When I heard they were going to tighten it up i asked if was OK to back up! That's the way to get them to come in. :D
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby db7 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:00 pm

I have heard the commonly accepted interpretation among judges around here is that if the dog drops the bird within one step of the handler then that will pass. Delivered to hand is for perfect marks.
db7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:02 pm

So whats one step? I can make a big step of 5 or 6 feet somone smaller may only be able to do 3 or 4. The dog should bring the bird to you so you dont have to move more than 2 or 3 feet. If it drops the bird partial marks givin holding the bird and bringing it right to the handler should receive full marks.
Ryan

Next

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs