Pointing Labs allowed?

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pointing Labs allowed?

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:50 pm

I have always wondered if a pointing lab would be allowed to run in AKC and CKC hunt tests? I cannot see why not as long as it met the requirements of that tests. Unless there is a breed list that says only certain breeds can enter.

What is your position on allowing pointing labs to compete with the GSP, Weimaraner, Griffon, Brittany, etc ?
Ryan

Postby ME » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:58 pm

There is no such breed of dog as a pointing lab....

Nuff said...
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Will AKC let me run my AWP's in their retriever games?
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Ryan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:36 pm

Why wouldn't they allow them to run? They point birds just like any of our pointers do. As long as they point birds let them run.
Ryan

Postby yawallac » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:02 am

They point birds just like any of our pointers do.

Maybe yours. Not mine. :cry:
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ME » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:37 am

yawallac wrote:
They point birds just like any of our pointers do.

Maybe yours. Not mine. :cry:

The most intelligent thing you have said in over a day!!!
Don't be a liberal
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:00 am

Sure they do. No they may not hold their tail at 12 or have intense points but they get the job done. No I haven't hunted over one yet and im sure you 2 haven't I could be wrong. Lets hear from some people with pointing labs or that have hunted over one. W

ME you are allowed to compete in their Retriever events so why do you think they shouldn't be allowed to compete in our tests. You never know one day you might get shown up by a pointing Lab.
Ryan

Postby azbirdhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:06 am

Ryan wrote:
ME you are allowed to compete in their Retriever events so why do you think they shouldn't be allowed to compete in our tests. You never know one day you might get shown up by a pointing Lab.

That is ridiculous. Maybe your dogs can be shown up by a "pointing" lab, but I pretty confident in saying that there isn't a "pointing" lab or any lab for that matter that will hang with my dog in the uplands.
azbirdhunter
Started
Started

Postby Ryan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:26 am

AZbirdhunter if you are so sure then why not let them run and compete with our pointing breeds?

I am sure the Pointer and Setter guys were saying the same thing when the GSP and GWP or Brittany first came on the scene in North America. Now look the GSP is one of the best Field Trial dogs out there along with the Brittany.
Ryan

Postby Grange » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:58 am

For a moderator you sure didn't shy away from a topic that could become quite heated.

As an owner of a lab that doesn't point except on rare occasions I don't really care if she is allowed in pointing trails, but I would guess a good pointing lab could do well in NAVHDA if they were allowed to compete.

When I watch Tournament Hunter TV I think a good pointing lab could hold point as well as any of those pointing dogs.
Grange
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ME » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:01 am

Ryan wrote:Sure they do. No they may not hold their tail at 12 or have intense points but they get the job done. No I haven't hunted over one yet and im sure you 2 haven't I could be wrong. Lets hear from some people with pointing labs or that have hunted over one. W

Because the is no such breed as a pointing lab. All the retriever guys I talked to about it just laughed. The said then never had a Lab that didn't point at least once. It is just another fade like the labradoodle. I know of 3 guys who bought pointing labs and then wanted me to tell them how I taught my dog to point. Duh you see these are the type of people that this pointing lab industry is suckering in. They don't know, so they caught up in the hype. I tell them to either sell the dog and by a real pointing dog or keep it and get a real pointing dog. Then they tell me what they paid for the dog and that is not an option.

The tests I ran in were UKC not AKC.

Not afraid at all! I have hunted my dog with a few labs and the owners at the end of the day have to admit that my dog was the one who was really hunting and theirs was just walking along. They had nice dogs but there was no comparison. I am sure that he would have beat their dogs duck hunting too. Only because these guys were joe six pack types like huntntrain and they got a lab and "they are retrievers so you don't need to do any training with them they were bred to be able to do that."

Let them have their APLA and and when they allow a pointer to run in their test it will open their eyes.
Don't be a liberal
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:07 am

The AKC puts on the hunt tests and they also decide what dog goes in what class. Retrievers can't compete in pointing breed tests and vice versa. Other venues (HRC, NAHRA) allow some flexability, but not AKC. There are, however, pointing lab hunt tests put on by an organization of pointing lab folks, but it's not AKC sanctioned.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby parshal » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:17 am

It's the same reason that a GSP can not run a retriever AKC Master Hunter test since it's not a recognized "retriever" by the AKC just as the Labrador is not a recognized pointing breed.

I've seen some PL's that point very well. But, they are not the norm. I, too, have stories like ME of PL owners asking how they teach their dog to point. The fact that the premier PL trainers, the Knutson's, say that you can not train a PL like a traditional pointing dog must mean something.
parshal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby azbirdhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:26 am

Grange wrote:
When I watch Tournament Hunter TV I think a good pointing lab could hold point as well as any of those pointing dogs.

I haven't seen on decent dog on that show. Talk about ridiculous. The birds rarely fly and when they do they have to kicked. The dogs only have to hold point for a three count. Wow, how impressive. Maybe thats a long time for a lab to hold "point." :lol: It's just another example of dogs being dumbed down by pen raised birds and tests. They run around in the field a while "hunting" glorified chickens and then are proclaimed to be 'champions." :roll:
azbirdhunter
Started
Started

Next

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs