Starting a puppy in Hunt Tests and Field Trials

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Starting a puppy in Hunt Tests and Field Trials

Postby pointerspice » Mon May 15, 2006 2:48 pm

First off, let me introduce myself. I am a junior in high school and I live in southern California (more specifically, the San Diego area). I just got my first Pointer, and he is now five months old. I was interested in doing some hunt tests and possibly field trial work with him, but have absolutely no clue how to get started. Do any of you know anybody in my area who would be willing to let me "shadow" them and learn from them? I don't want to send him away for training, because I'd really like to learn to do it myself. Thanks in advance!

-Jenna
pointerspice

Postby orhunter » Mon May 15, 2006 5:32 pm

Go to NAVHDA.org and see if there is a chapter in your area.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby larue » Mon May 15, 2006 6:23 pm

If trials and hunt tests are the way you want to go,I would not rely on navhda.Many of the navhda guys do not run any akc events.
I would do a search on the akc website for the hunt tests and trials in you area,go watch and meet some people.You can also find your local breed club and join it.You will find someone to help you.proabably a good am
instead of a pro,but many pros are happy to help.
if you want to really learn,go find a pro who needs a summer grunt,to help with the dog care.Watch and learn.
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby anne » Tue May 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Jenna,
Contact me privately, I am with the San Diego NAVHDA chapter. We just had our last training session last weekend, next one is in June. We also run AKC events, specifially field trials, there is at least one person in the club that runs field trials, I believe. We're fairly new with this particular chapter so there may be more. anne@weim.net
Anne
anne
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hunter94 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:24 pm

larue wrote:If trials and hunt tests are the way you want to go,I would not rely on navhda.Many of the navhda guys do not run any akc events.
I would do a search on the akc website for the hunt tests and trials in you area,go watch and meet some people.You can also find your local breed club and join it.You will find someone to help you.proabably a good am
instead of a pro,but many pros are happy to help.
if you want to really learn,go find a pro who needs a summer grunt,to help with the dog care.Watch and learn.

one of the reasons some NAVHDA guys don't compete in AKC trials is due to the fact AKC does not recognize their breed of dog....but don't be fooled, as there are some very good training resources in NAVHDA groups and some guys DO get into AKC events......

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby larue » Thu May 18, 2006 5:52 am

I was interested in doing some hunt tests and possibly field trial work with him

Hunter94,pointerspice was asking for training of a dog for akc events,including trials.
I did not put down navhda training in any manner yet lets look at the differences in training a navhda dog,and training for a trial dog.
A trial pup should be trained to run forward,on lines,to show as much power as it can,to never yo-yo,to seek edges,cover,to show extreme
independance.
Most navhda tests are ran in a big field,and the edges are out of bounds,
and the birds are planted in the middle of the fields.A quartering dog who is a windshield wiper dog is what is wanted.
Navhda requirements and trial requiremenst are at opposite ends of what is expected in a dog,as far as range,application,style.
I would not expect to do well in navhda with a shooting dog,you should not expect to do well in trials with a quartering yo-yoing dog.
Navhda is a great place to learn how to break out a dog,to create a
nice well trained dog,it is not a place to learn how to win a field trial.
I have not even talked about brace work,which is in every akc event,at all levels,and is only in the invite at navhda.When is the last time you saw bracework of pups at a navhda trainig day? or a gallery of horses?
If you are going to run akc events your dog had better be ready for both
a bracemate and horses.
Once again navhda is a great place to train,but if you are looking to prepare or learn about akc events I would probably seek out another group that trains in the manner in which will help prepare your dog for
the events you are running in.
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jstaylor62 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:33 pm

larue wrote:If trials and hunt tests are the way you want to go,I would not rely on navhda.Many of the navhda guys do not run any akc events.

Larue:
I disagree with your statement that many NAVHDA guys do not run Hunt Tests. About 60-70% of NAVHDA Versatile Champions are also AKC Master Hunters. That must mean that some NAVHDA guys are running AKC Hunt Tests.

Pointerspice:
Finding a local NAVHDA is an excellent place to start for a young handler. Just becuase it is a NAVHDA club, does not mean that they are only going to limit training to NAVHDA events. Many of the handlers in our club run AKC hunt tests and field trials and are successful. We also try to expose our dogs to the same testing environment they would see at a AKC Hunt Test or Walking Field Trial by running with bracemates, having a gallery and horses.

NAVHDA will have several breeds of pointing dogs. Your dog will be exposed to several different breeds while training. This will be very helpful when you run a hunt test, since it will not be the first time your dogs has seen Visla or something. Finding a local breed club was of no help to me what-so-ever. I started with NAVHDA and have had a great time.

Currently my dog is a Junior Hunter, but I will test him for Senior Hunter in the Fall. I might test him for Master Hunter if he shows progress during the NAVHDA training days this summer.

Good luck
jstaylor62

Postby hunter94 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:25 pm

larue wrote:
I was interested in doing some hunt tests and possibly field trial work with him

Hunter94,pointerspice was asking for training of a dog for akc events,including trials.
I did not put down navhda training in any manner yet lets look at the differences in training a navhda dog,and training for a trial dog.
A trial pup should be trained to run forward,on lines,to show as much power as it can,to never yo-yo,to seek edges,cover,to show extreme
independance.
Most navhda tests are ran in a big field,and the edges are out of bounds,
and the birds are planted in the middle of the fields.A quartering dog who is a windshield wiper dog is what is wanted.
Navhda requirements and trial requiremenst are at opposite ends of what is expected in a dog,as far as range,application,style.
I would not expect to do well in navhda with a shooting dog,you should not expect to do well in trials with a quartering yo-yoing dog.
Navhda is a great place to learn how to break out a dog,to create a
nice well trained dog,it is not a place to learn how to win a field trial.
I have not even talked about brace work,which is in every akc event,at all levels,and is only in the invite at navhda.When is the last time you saw bracework of pups at a navhda trainig day? or a gallery of horses?
If you are going to run akc events your dog had better be ready for both
a bracemate and horses.
Once again navhda is a great place to train,but if you are looking to prepare or learn about akc events I would probably seek out another group that trains in the manner in which will help prepare your dog for
the events you are running in.

and i agree with you.....just not a bad place to start and yes, a versatile dog is not going to hunt like a field trial dog, this venue is mainly for teaching a dog to hunt and cooperate with the foot-hunter......but their are AKC events that one can train for.....i don't think i said anything about field trial competition.......obviously a cut above.....
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby pointerspice » Fri May 19, 2006 9:01 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies! I really appreciate all the knowledge you guys have to offer.

So far looking for breed clubs has resulted in a lot of dead ends. The Pointer Club of Southern California has no website, and the only breeders in my area are my breeder (who is two hours away) and another one who doesn't run their dogs in field trials or hunt tests. Then I started to try the Brittany and Viszla breed clubs, with the same results.

I also found the Southern California NAVHDA, and I found it's member list. There are many, many members within a few minutes of me. However, none of them have any sort of information besides a name, phone number, and location. I didn't want to bother anyone by starting to call random numbers and hope they ran AKC events or were willing to help me.

So, here I am, asking if anyone knows anyone. Just wanted to let you all know what I had already tried. Thanks for any more advice you guys have!
pointerspice

Postby hunter94 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:40 pm

pointerspice wrote:Thanks for everyone's replies! I really appreciate all the knowledge you guys have to offer.

So far looking for breed clubs has resulted in a lot of dead ends. The Pointer Club of Southern California has no website, and the only breeders in my area are my breeder (who is two hours away) and another one who doesn't run their dogs in field trials or hunt tests. Then I started to try the Brittany and Viszla breed clubs, with the same results.

I also found the Southern California NAVHDA, and I found it's member list. There are many, many members within a few minutes of me. However, none of them have any sort of information besides a name, phone number, and location. I didn't want to bother anyone by starting to call random numbers and hope they ran AKC events or were willing to help me.

So, here I am, asking if anyone knows anyone. Just wanted to let you all know what I had already tried. Thanks for any more advice you guys have!

i would be willing to bet most any of those NAVHDA members would be more than happy to help or refer you to the resource you are looking for...
better yet, ask one by phone when their next training day is, go and get to know the members, ask around concerning what you are looking for in the way of training help/information.....most NAVHDA guys are real helpful, they help train other members and their dogs all the time...give it a try, very few (if any) will think you are "bothering them"......

hunter94
read, listen, learn
hunter94
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jstaylor62 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:43 pm

pointerspice wrote:I also found the Southern California NAVHDA, and I found it's member list. There are many, many members within a few minutes of me. However, none of them have any sort of information besides a name, phone number, and location. I didn't want to bother anyone by starting to call random numbers and hope they ran AKC events or were willing to help me.

Start calling somebody on the list. I never heard of a dog handler that would not enjoy the opportunity to talk about their dog to a total stranger.
jstaylor62

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sun May 21, 2006 8:22 pm

I think you'd be suprised at the level of training needed for a NAVHDA test. The Utility test makes SH and MH look like a walk in the park. Not putting them down as my dog and I are currently working towards UT and SH.

Jay
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby larue » Mon May 22, 2006 6:57 am

I looked on the akc web,there will be a wirehair trial on the 20th in northern cal,while there will be hunt tests later in the summer.
Go to one of these,as they are not breed specific in most gwp,or gsp trials.
You should be able to make a contact at one of the trials.
Swithgrass,I agree a ut test is more varied,but no dog is ever picked up for taking two steps in a navhda event,or for any infraction.
It is easier to prize a dog in a ut test,than to keep a dog completely clean in a master test,especially a nice running gundog.
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Mon May 22, 2006 9:19 am

Do you intend to hunt this dog? I would pursue that program of training that will train the dog best for the hunting you actually will be doing. If this is purely a competition dog, then you must pick your game and stay with it. If you want to do hunt tests and NAVHDA, they can be done together very well. If you intend to field trial, DO NOT spend time with hunt tests or NAVHDA now-your dog must learn and like to run, become independent and learn to cover the ground and hit objectives. After you are done with FT, there will be time enough for these other games.

Have fun and good luck.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Greifdogs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51 am

Typical of most sites Jenna we all have our likes and dislikes and our own "specialties" so we are somewhat jaded in our views. I will tell you truthfully, at your age, and depending on how much money your parents are willing to spend, you might be limited in your ability to run "field trials". To most who compete a field trial is run off horse and then a few are NBHA and ABHA, walking stakes primarily. Any of them, AKC or American Field take tons of money. I am NOT telling you to forget it, however!!!! Attend any and all you can, AKC Hunting Tests, field trials of all kinds, NAVHDA, and NSTRA. See which ones float your boat and see if you can make it happen.

I would suggest finding an AKC Hunting Test and watching the Junior Hunter. A Junior dog needs to only run around a little and point a bird. It's a great start for anyone just beginning.

Second, I would tell you to call some of those folks. Personally, I am happy to see any young person get involved in the sport, period. So, if you called me I'd have you and your parents to the house, work broke dogs, show you how to start a pup, etc. I know in CA there are plenty who feel the same way.

Third, you might look into some of the local AKC GSP clubs. They will all have events, nice folks, and are not gonna run you off with your EP.

Last, I would tell you to find a well respected local pro who gives "lessons". We have several in the DFW area, who charge $25 to $40 and will help you along.

Oh, yeah, get on this site, modernsportsman.com, and uplandbirddog.com and ASK QUESTIONS. We are ALL experts and we love to talk dogs. Ok, we're not experts, but we're willing to help.
GSPs for hunting and trialing
Greifdogs
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs