AKC Hunt Test Courses.

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

AKC Hunt Test Courses.

Postby JoeBoy » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:52 pm

Which type of course would you rather run in. A single course without a bird field, or a single course with a bird field?

The course with no bird field, all birds that are pointed would be shot by the gunners.

We have run them both ways up here in the midwest, but I'd like to hear from other parts of the country as to which they would prefer.
JoeBoy

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:24 pm

I wouldn't mind kill-on-course, but the logistics of finding enough horses for the gunners would make it difficult and expensive.

I have gunned at several hunt test, and we usually sit at the edge of the bird field and wait for the handlers. We would never find anyone to gun if we made them walk the entire brace.

I have handled dogs in AKC retrieving stakes where we either killed the first bird on course, or used a bird field. I would rather do either of these before a phoney call-back.
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JoeBoy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Great response. We usually have at least two sets of gunners that walk every other brace to allow for rest in between braces. The club actually sponsors a Sporting Clays team, so that's where we get ample numbers for gunners. If you belong to a club, I would strongly recommend that they organize a shooting team and get those people signed up to do your gunning for you. I can't tell you how frustrating it can be to have your dog put down a "to die for" run and then have the gunners miss almost every bird. Up in central MN, if it flies, it dies! That's they way it's supposed to be done. As far as not being able to get the gunners to walk for the tests, ask them how many times they've been able to ride a horse out hunting? Gets the body into hunting condition real quick if you have them early in the fall.
JoeBoy

Postby mngsp » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:08 am

As far as horses for gunners, I don't believe in a HT it would be allowed. The judges and a judges marshall are the only ones that can be on a horse.

In a FT I don't believe there is any problem with gunners being on a horse if they wish.
mngsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby anne » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Definitely first bird shot on course over birdfield. I'm in Southern California. I have only been to hunt tests and trials with birdfields. I don't think it's easy to find an adequate number of gunners for hunt tests, but I have never organized a HT so don't really know. I do run 2-4 field trials a year and the problem is finding gunners that ride and the expense of the horses for gunners for field trials. The next trial we have is going to be first bird shot on course and we had to get a wrangler, and this will likely be a trial where we lose money. We usually break even or make a little money.
anne
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JoeBoy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:01 pm

Tony,

Thanks again for judging at our Trial up in Solon WI this past fall, we really do appreciate it. Let me know if you are interested in judging a walking trial?

JoeBoy
JoeBoy

Postby mngsp » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Joeboy

What dates do you have in mind? I'm sure I'll find out more this Saturday.

Will I be able to find this place if I just go up hwy 10? I know Clearwater or Clear Lake is such a big place.
mngsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs