AKC Hunt Test Question

AKC, CKC, KC, ANKC, UKC, ENZI, etc. testing.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby Honeyrun » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:26 pm

The Key word in that phrase in the book is "Excessive". What is excessive back east may not be in your part of the country. What is excessive when hunting ruffed grouse evidently isn't considered excessive while hunt quail or pheasant. So looks like it will depend on what part of the country you happen to be in.
Cindy Stahle
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honey Run Shorthairs
Honeyrun
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ohiogsp » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:48 pm

I want to jump back to the original post here for a minute and tell my story. I was runnig a SH test. My dog went on point, the bracemate was backing, I flush, the bird gets shot. I was walking to my dog to send him for the retrieve but when I turned my back the bracemate's dog retrieved the bird to his handler. Nobody says anything, I send my dog and he can't find the bird so he starts circling and flushes a live bird, he holds STW&S, "I don't know what the heck is going on at this point". I then goto him and send him hunting in the other direction. He starts hunting goes to he other end of the bird field then loops around and is running the edges of the bird field. This leads him back to where the flushed bird landed and the judges tell me to pick-up my dog for a delayed chase. I was blown away and said WHAT??? The judges say you can't revisit the same bird for 2 minutes. I said WTF happen out there and they say the other handler dog retrieved your shot bird. I said "UN" "F" "ING" UNBELIEVABLE!! X2
ohiogsp
Started
Started

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:22 pm

ohiogsp wrote:My dog went on point, the bracemate was backing, I flush, the bird gets shot. I was walking to my dog to send him for the retrieve but when I turned my back the bracemate's dog retrieved the bird to his handler. Nobody says anything, I send my dog and he can't find the bird so he starts circling and flushes a live bird, he holds STW&S, "I don't know what the heck is going on at this point". I then goto him and send him hunting in the other direction. He starts hunting goes to he other end of the bird field then loops around and is running the edges of the bird field. This leads him back to where the flushed bird landed and the judges tell me to pick-up my dog for a delayed chase. I was blown away and said WHAT??? The judges say you can't revisit the same bird for 2 minutes. I said WTF happen out there and they say the other handler dog retrieved your shot bird. I said "UN" "F" "ING" UNBELIEVABLE!! X2

OK first of all the judges should have had your bracemate collar his dog after he had shown that he achieved the back. I would hope that the judges had your bracemate pick up his dog!! His dog stole your dog's bird.

Secondly I would not call this a delayed chase. If there was time in between and the dog was clearly hunting in another area before he went to where the 1st bird had landed then that is not a delayed chase.

I won't even get into what happen to me at a hunt test! Bracemate was a bump up from Jrs. (I knew this was a disaster waiting to happen.) Bracemate does not know that he needs a blank pistol in the back course. Sr. judge of the two judges says he will ride back and get the pistol. By this time we are half-way in the back course. Other judge stops At this pt. I ask if we should restart the brace due to only 1 judge. Lessor experienced judge says keep going "We will catch up" So we then have NO judges on the back course!!! Both dogs did fine on the back course We get to the bird field BOTH judges and BOTH gunners go with my bracemate. My dog goes on point. Windy day I am yelling for a gunner and judge NONE come Bird flushes before I get close enough my dog stays on pt. I heel her off. Meanwhile bracemate's dog is busting birds. Cheap club only puts out 4 birds for a brace We are 2nd brace of day Bracemate has busted 3 birds!!! Judges do NOT have him picked up. My dog has demonstrated backing. She has demonstrated bird finding and has not chased after a missed shot. Time is up. My dog has Nq'd. Judge says no bird finds. Judge says afterwards when I questioned him about the test "Oh ya maybe we should have had a gunner with you" in an attitude of "Well little lady". :x

Ugh I just wasted $35!! I could have saved my energy and just handed the club the money and not run my dog. Added on top of it all during JH the club allows spectators with children to go into the birdfield and stand in the middle of the birdfield to watch the tests.
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Whenever I read about how a handler and his dog were scored in a test or trial, I always wonder what the other side of the story would sound like. :?
Tony
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:22 pm

Tony wrote:Whenever I read about how a handler and his dog were scored in a test or trial, I always wonder what the other side of the story would sound like. :?

After the tests the marshall came up to me and said that the judges admitted their mistakes to him. Really pissed me off!

BTW I am a hunt test judge. I readily admit to mistakes and will pull my dogs when they make a mistake.
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:06 pm

...Added on top of it all during JH the club allows spectators with children to go into the birdfield and stand in the middle of the birdfield to watch the tests.

This is a weim club right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Greifdogs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Of course it was yawallac!!

OhioGSP, I love the markings on the dog you've got. I had one with white feet, solid liver everywhere. Her daddy looked exactly the same, his name is Shoe! How's yours bred??
GSPs for hunting and trialing
Greifdogs
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 pm

yawallac wrote:
...Added on top of it all during JH the club allows spectators with children to go into the birdfield and stand in the middle of the birdfield to watch the tests.

This is a weim club right? :lol: :lol: :lol:

NOPE GSP!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:49 pm

You forget, I know all about your Greater Charleston Weim Club... Been there, done that! Great wine and cheese crowd... :lol:

"Look Biff, he's pointing the butterfly!" "Gee Babs, we really do have a great birddog!!" "Yippeeeeeee Yipeeeeeee!!"
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mngsp » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:02 pm

Who were the idiotic judges that allowed that to happen. The judges control everything on course, not the hosting club.

I hate to be a tattle tale but this is the type of crap that needs to be reported to the AKC.
mngsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 pm

yawallac wrote:You forget, I know all about your Greater Charleston Weim Club... Been there, done that! Great wine and cheese crowd... :lol:

"Look Biff, he's pointing the butterfly!" "Gee Babs, we really do have a great birddog!!" "Yippeeeeeee Yipeeeeeee!!"

No it was the Atlanta GSP Club that hosted the hunt tests that were such a fiasco. Happened last Feb.
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CherrystoneWeims » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:16 pm

mngsp wrote:Who were the idiotic judges that allowed that to happen. The judges control everything on course, not the hosting club.

I hate to be a tattle tale but this is the type of crap that needs to be reported to the AKC.

I agree. I really felt like reporting it to AKC BUT I am wanting to FT this bitch and make her a Dual. You know how political that can be! I don't want to be blackballed.

One of the judges should NOT be judging hunt tests. He has barely put JH's on his dogs!
CherrystoneWeims
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ohiogsp » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 pm

Funny thing is it was a weim club hosting the event I was at.

Griefdogs, thanks man. Dixieland rusty is in there a few times but here is the other dogs.

FC HMK'S Dandi Runaway Rusty
NFC Dixieland's Rusty
DC Wil-lyn's Sparkling Nugget
FC Sundance Cisco Kid
FC AFC Dee's Call Girl
MH Keefer Der Fallsehermjager
Fc Brown's Mighty Streak
FC Direct's Fin Line
Fc Mac The Knife
FC Moesgaards Dandy's Dee
DC Erick Vom Enzstrand
FC AFC Brown Ls Spot
FC Grecthen's Pride
FC Checkmate's Dandy Bo
CH Clasmbras Gold Mein

I liked the looks of "DC/AFC Knight's Kodiak Ice" and was looking for a pup and called this guy and he said I got one male left. I was like color don't matter and I didn't even ask about it. Well, I went to look at him and it was like perfect.

Hey, Tony this test did piss me off because it prevented me from finishing my SH in two weekends. I ended up having to run one more. I tell stuff the way it was and it is not like I was having a problem finishing SH.
ohiogsp
Started
Started

Expanded details-

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:40 am

Yipes!

The devils in the details. Ouch,
tough break, goofy Judging.

Hunt test entries wise, we've been in triple digits for years (mostly top levels) - hate to count the DQ's too. 'Been there, paid our dues with questionable calls, been DQ'd for the silliest of things, it goes with the territory (most unfortunate).

The best thing WE can do is get involved-

Get your seminar/apprenticeships/placements/titles and get out there and turn the tides. Keep the bar high as it should be. Keep in mind when Judging though- you were there once yourself-under Judgement in the same wacky situations at one time or another- Tyranny is not judging, keep the rulebook in your pocket and relate what you see to your hunting/testing experiences. Watch the wind and scenting conditions, know the difference between a downwind bump of a bird vs. a stop to flush.

My opinion- It is better to do it again and confirm a DQ than to DQ a dog for a minor infraction or a superficial breach of manner, let the dog show you its worthiness, a deserving dog will be CONSISTANT. Same with one that does not deserve to Q.

Most of all- Don't Judge with a chip on your shoulder- it's not revenge time. It's time to be firm and FAIR based on the standard.

As stated by AKC, it is ultimately up to the individual clubs to provide and maintain a capable judging panel. To lower standards by using unqualified folks or unseasoned newbies puts the blame solely on the host club.

-just my eleven dee seven cents worth- FWIW
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby yawallac » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:49 am

There's wisdom in your words Steve. Great post.
yawallac
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to (All Breed) Kennel Clubs