pellet smoker

Off-Topic discussions and chit-chat

Moderator: Moderator Pack

pellet smoker

Postby roosterbrews » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 pm

anyone here use a pellet smoker do they work pretty well how hard is cleaned up how much did you spend.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: pellet smoker

Postby orhunter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:50 am

Do you specifically mean for smoking fish and other meat products or a smoker/BBQ? Many products that claim to be smokers, cannot be run at a low enough temperature to actually smoke anything and end up cooking it. It's best to buy a product built to do one thing to get the best results.

True smoking is very temperature sensitive. Below 130 for fish, up to but not exceed 150 for other meat based products. If whatever gizmo you're looking at doesn't have precise temperature control within these ranges, don't waste your money. Actual BBQ starts at 200 degrees and goes up to ?. Grilling starts a 375 with no upper limit.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:17 pm

Was strapped for time previously so will add more.

If you're actually looking for a BBQ, the Traeger is pretty popular and for me, they do a good job. A lot of folks have sold their Traegers and upgraded to one called the Green Mountain.

The best small, cheap, store bought true smoker is the Big Chief. I run a lot of fish through mine in the late summer with great results. If you want something with a bit more class and capacity, building your own is the only way to go.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby roosterbrews » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 am

IT's range is 150 to 500 just not familiar with the pellets but they seem to be solid just new. Everyone I have talked to seems to love them but being new there are still longevity questions. I like the Rec Tec just doing alot of research before I bite the bullet.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 am

If you go to the website ifish.net, there's lots of discussions about these contraptions. The archives are full so use the search function.

Sounds like what you're looking at is a BBQ because it doesn't go below 150.

There are so many different units on the market, it's gotta make your head spin. I think every geographic location has it's own popular unit based on what's the favorite food in that area. Just make sure you get something bigger than you think you need. You'll love whatever you end up with and will be doing more cooking than you ever thought you would.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:44 am

YES...I think you fellas ought to smoke up some ribs, (BEEF) as an experiment using the pellets, after rubbing them in a fine mix of herbs and spices, glazed in a sweet tangy sauce, slowly cooked....then ship em to the Ponderosa, NY 11972-General Delivery, for proper evaluation.
:D
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby schultz's honor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:57 pm

I have had propane, charcoal and most recently an electric. The charcoal and propane are very difficult to a achieve a low temperature constant smoke.
On Black Friday I bought a masrtercraft electric smoker. WHAT A DREAM. It is well insulated and enclosed so wind does not mAke your temp fluctuate.
It has a digital thermostat and keeps temp very constant
Annnnd all you need for smoke is about a half cup of wood chips.
It can be used wet or dry.
"Oh give me the grace to catch a fish so big
that even I, when talking about it afterward
may have no need to lie"
schultz's honor
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Grange » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:09 pm

I have a Big Green Egg can keep a constant temp of 185 F when I smoke bacon. I did buy my brother-in-law a Pitmaster IQ 110 for Christmas and he loves the thing.
Grange
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby centershots » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:43 am

Most of my friends have Traegers and love them... I wanted something small and easy so my wife bought me a Bradley smoker years ago for Christmas. It holds temperature really well and super easy to use. (Set the temp., load bisquettes, and let er go.) I've done a number of different meats, fowl and fish... I'm not a knowledgeable guy on BBQs and Smokers, so I'm certainly not the person to go to for information on the best... but thought I'd let you know I'm pleased with the ease of my Bradley.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Off-Topic Discussions