Alpha TT15 collar scraping dogs neck

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Alpha TT15 collar scraping dogs neck

Postby mgrucker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 pm

This is the first year I've used the Alpha system and I'm having a problem where the ecollar prongs are scraping my dogs neck leaving him with scabs after a weekend of hunting. He's always worn an ecollar but never anything this heavy before. I noticed that it always rotates so that the box is at about 7:30-8:00 when looking at him from the front. I thought I already had it pretty tight but went a hole tighter this last time out and it still rotated to the same spot. Is the rotation the likely cause of why the prongs are doing this to him? Should I keep going tighter until it stops rotating or is it normal to rotate a bit due to the weight of it all?
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Alpha TT15 collar scraping dogs neck

Postby mgrucker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 pm

I got some feedback elsewhere the that rotation is the likely cause so I'll try tighter yet and see how it goes. If you have any other ideas let me know!
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dakotazeb » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

I'm having some of the same problem with my TT 15 mini causing sore areas where the prongs are. Not sure what the solution is. I've put on the shorter prongs. I wouldn't be too concerned about the collar rotating as I think that is just going to happen. Can't get the collar too tight and choke the dog.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ANick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:19 am

I have an Alpha, but haven't had it on mine much, mostly using the 550.

However, I did have a little problem with a bit of rub early on with the 550. I had been told to keep it "tight', but swore it was too tight and backed it off. That's when the little scabbed sores showed up. So I snugged it back up to the point that a finger had a hard time getting under the collar, but the pup could still eat or drink... and yes, also breath. :)

I've kept it tight since with the unit parked behind her left ear. If it rotates, it is too loose and I take it up a notch. I kinda think she 'bulls up' the neck a little like a horse under a saddle, too.

If you notice that the dog isn't responding to a lower setting but then yelps when you move the setting up, it is also a sign that the collar is loose. With the collar loose, there isn't enough contact for a current flow. When you crank it up, you are actually jumping a spark from the contacts to the dog's skin... and that isn't what you want at all.

I'm dead certain there are many more with more experience with collars than I, but this has been my experience with this dog.

I think I'm doing something okay with the ecollar because when I pick it up, said pup runs over to sit for a fitting... and just barely sitting as she's bouncing in place to get the collar ON. :)
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:05 pm

In addition to correct tightness, here is a simple fix.
Cut a men's black nylon sock so that it fits the receiver.
Slide it over the receiver. It will still transmit elec stim but will eliminate the sore spots.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions