Kent Bismuth Ammo Review.

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Kent Bismuth Ammo Review.

Postby chiendog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:50 pm

Just before the 2016 season opened, I managed to get my hands on a good supply of the new Kent Bismuth ammo in 12 and 20 gauge loads. Now that the season is over, I've finally had the time to write a review of it. You can read it here: http://pointingdogblog.blogspot.ca/2017 ... ivers.html

chiendog
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Kent Bismuth Ammo Review.

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks. I like these personal experience field tests. Far better than some expert claiming this or that ammo should do a particular job as opposed to what it will do.

One important bit is shot choice. Only shoot at birds you can kill.

The one thing I take exception to is the killing ability of No. 2 steel. Although penetration tests say it's finished at 41 yards, being hit with something that large in diameter has a certain way of adding additional killing power. Well past 41 yards.... in my field experience.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bullfrog » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. I tried some of it in 12 gauge #5 and 6 this year. It's a good option for my fixed choke sxs when I'm hunting a refuge that requires non-tox. Unfortunately all I was able to test it on was quail. Not exactly hard to kill. It was late in the season and the roosters were extremely wary.
While it's half the price of hevi-shot, I still hope the price comes down as it becomes more available. I was only able to find it at Cabelas.
Oh...and sweet shotguns!
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 am

orhunter wrote:Thanks. I like these personal experience field tests. Far better than some expert claiming this or that ammo should do a particular job as opposed to what it will do.

One important bit is shot choice. Only shoot at birds you can kill.

The one thing I take exception to is the killing ability of No. 2 steel. Although penetration tests say it's finished at 41 yards, being hit with something that large in diameter has a certain way of adding additional killing power. Well past 41 yards.... in my field experience.

I used to roll my own steel loads around '02-'04, and I toyed with the fast stuff... reloading upwards of 1700fps #3s (until Kent started making a decent load off the shelf).

Though I could never get them to pattern consistently or very well for that matter, I had two memorable shots with them.

One was a woodduck that my dog bumped off of a beaver pond, and I pass shot as it came down the creek.

Immediately after I folded it, it hit a tree and dropped straight down. I paced it at 45yds, GPS said 40yds... it had 6 pellet holes, 3 in and 3 exiting (i.e. all pass thrus).

Pass thrus at 40 yards! And, moreover the duck was pole-axed dead on contact.

Penetration tests are OK, but insitu tests are the reality. KE = 1/2 mv² Velocity kills!!!!

So, anecdotally I agree with orhunter.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions