Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Bill, I am wearing these this season and really like them. http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES- ... ance-Boots
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bill in Oregon » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 am

Good to know, AG. Are the soles stiff enough to handle rocky terrain? Wish Sportsman's carried them so that I could try them on over in Las Cruces.
Bill in Oregon
Started
Started

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:27 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Bill, I am wearing these this season and really like them. http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES- ... ance-Boots

man, all these nice boots are only in medium,,,,,,won't fit my big feet,,,,,
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:19 pm

Bill in Oregon wrote:Good to know, AG. Are the soles stiff enough to handle rocky terrain? Wish Sportsman's carried them so that I could try them on over in Las Cruces.

Bill, for me they work fine for day hunts in rocky terrain such as the area you mention. I elk hunt north of Las Cruces so am familiar with the terrain and have been wearing Danner Pronghorns for those hunts. The Pronghorns are light and I can feel the terrain and therefore be quiet when stalking into bow range... These Schnees are head and shoulder better than the Danners. I also have a stiffer sole pair of Danners which are very similar to their "Grouse Boot" The Schnees are a better boot than those Danners as well in my view.

But if I drew a sheep tag in the mountains and could only take one pair of boots I would wear my 10 inch uninsulated Kennetrec MT. Boots which have a stiffer sole, and more weight because of it. I will wear these Schnees for all my bird hunting until some deep snow comes. In deep snow in the cattail sloughs I will wear my Kennetrec boots and gaiters.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 am

I found a couple mentions of Irish Setter boots in this thread, specifically one about them leaking, but does anyone own a pair and want to comment on them? They are owned by Red Wing, a brand I wore at work for for a long time and liked. I'm looking at their 9" Wingshooter, either in zip up or lace up.

Frankly the zip ups look super comfortable, but does anyone hunt in this type of boot? I'm a bit worried about them sliding around on my feet.

I'm headed to NE this winter and don't think my old boots I wear here in the deep south will hack it. Nothing worse than cold, wet feet. Obviously the price is a bit better than other options, so I'm hoping that the guy who's boots leaked after s year isn't the norm. Thanks in advance.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I have no Experience with IS boots to offer.

For hunting in cold wet winter conditions in an all leather boot I have never heard anyone who spent the money on Kenetreks say anything but good about them. I have an insulated and an uninsulated pair of their 10 inch Mt boot. Worth every penny. The band of rubber around them dramatically reduces the rapid wear that walking in heavy bird hunting grass produces on unprotected leather toed boots.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:30 pm

I have Irish Setter wingshooter boots. 9"

I love them. They are very comfortable for walking, and they aren't leaking yet. I'm just starting my 3rd season with them. These are the boots I wear in warm weather (dove season) and any time I'm doing any significant walking (Upland, Turkey hunting, etc). The soles will probably be worn enough by the end of this season (maybe sooner) that I'll need to get a new pair. Mid-way through last season I started to feel that the support was breaking down in them, so I replaced the factory insoles with new aftermarket insoles. It made a big difference and will probably allow me to get an extra season out of them.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks Gents I ordered a pair of Irish Setters today. I'm a big fan of Red Wings so that, and cost tipped the scales.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions