Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Bird Hunting Boots - What do you all Like and Why

Postby Constructeur » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:06 pm

The hot ticket on Danners is to buy during the sales. I've never paid over $200 for a pair of Danner lights, what I wear around the office and during dog training.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby volraider » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 pm

jlw034,

So far I would say yes, ask me again in a couple of years.
1 Year old male Shorthair from Westwind kennels.
volraider
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:44 am

Some eons ago...... I bought a pair of Danner Commando boots. All was fine until the end of the first day ......when after using them all day my feet felt like they weighed a hundred pounds a piece. My HIP joints ached, recurring knee problems showed their selves once again, and in general my legs were worn out ! Nice boot butt it must take a couple months to wear IN.....

Now......My set of Mucks, chore masters, work just fine and fit a HOOF like mine well. LITE WEIGHT for sure and comfy. I believe by now I have gone through most of the models available: Chore, Woodsman, Horse (with steel shank) and a couple more I'm sure. Fit is great, callouses are few and far between, they're a bit light for the colder TUNDRA but they WORK for me.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Steve Anker wrote:My set of Mucks, chore masters, work just fine

My Muck boots are my favorite boots, IF I'm not going to be walking all day. For deer hunting (mostly sitting), and general farm chores they are my go-to boots.

I do find that Mucks run large. My feet must be in between sizes for the Mucks because I bought my regular shoe size in them and they move around too much on my feet for all day walking (even with really thick socks). But I thought the next size down was too tight, so I went with my regular size.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JASmith » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 am

AverageGuy wrote:I ended up buying Kenetrek Uninsulated 10 inch Mountain Boots. They are available in a B width and fit me excellent. Great ankle stability and footbed, reasonable weight, great traction. Been hunting this week in 4 degree temps wearing good Smartwool socks and my feet have never been cold, - including 5 hours of walking yesterday. Very pleased with them so far.

I picked up a pair of these this spring because I was wearing some junk boots that hurt my feet and fell apart. Ran an NA test this weekend with them, 40 degrees out and wet and rainy. They kept me dry and not too toasty. Great support and after standing all day my feet feel just as good as a day at the office. I couldn't be happier.

Well.. if they were half price I could be happier...
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bill in Oregon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:30 pm

I always wanted to try a pair of the Browning kangaroo featherweights, but never did.
Bill in Oregon
Started
Started

Postby Dakotazeb » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:36 am

Bill in Oregon wrote:I always wanted to try a pair of the Browning kangaroo featherweights, but never did.

Aren't the Cabelas Kangaroo Featherlight boots about the same?
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

I am surprised more of you don't wear rubber boats. Is that because they don't provide enough support?

Thanks

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby blue04 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 am

I often do wear rubber boots when deer hunting (largely on stand). I have a pair of Muck brand boots that are by far the most comfortable hunting boots I've ever owned. However, I've never owned a pair of rubber boots that provide enough lateral stability to be viable for walking long distances over rough or steep terrain. I simply can't get them tight enough so that my feet don't slide side-to-side in the boots when things get really steep. With traditional lace-up boots, I can cinch them tight enough, and lace them in different ways to get the stability I want.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

I would easily go through a pair of rubber boots per year. Plus they're overly heavy compared to leather boots.

I still haven't found a pair that I'm in love with. I've got a pair of Irish setters right now that I can't remember the name of. Similar design to Filsons. I used them some last year and they were ok.

I think it depends on what kind of Bird hunting you're doing because no way rubber boots would be worth while prairie or chukar hunting.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am

I have gone through several pairs of Muck Boots. Still using 3 pairs now in various stages of wear. I wear them when deer/turkey hunting, choring when wet out and for a lot of dog training as they leave less scent.

But I too prefer a pair of lace up boots for bird hunting. Most of the time I wear uninsulated, as light as I can get them. Wore a pair of uninsulated Kennetreks last year. Excellent boot, a little heavy and stiff for bird hunting than optimal, but cannot beat the stability, waterproof and lack of wear.

Thinking I might get a pair of these as well. Look lighter and less stiff. Good for hot weather bird hunts. http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES- ... ance-Boots
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

I hate wet feet and haven't found a leather/gortex boot yet that will stand up to hours of walking in wet grass. If the grass is wet I wear rubber boots and waterproof chaps depending on the situation. Can't find a Muck boot that feels right so I opt for rubber boots. Not the most comfortable but with a better insole they are good to go. One thing I don't like about the rubber boots or the Mucks is they tend to run a little large. I hate boots that move around on my feet especially if I'm walking in a muddy field or doing water work where I might have to step off the bank. As a solution I use some of my left over inner tube from the dog boots and cut a strip about 1" to 1 1/2" wide to put over the instep of the boot to tighten up the fit (might have to go up a size or two with the inner tube if the fit is too tight). The instep strap can be used on your waders as well. Another down side of the rubber boots is the dreaded sock suck....thus the ankle garter.

20170717_082240 (640x360).jpg

20170717_082418 (640x360).jpg

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:I hate wet feet and haven't found a leather/gortex boot yet that will stand up to hours of walking in wet grass. If the grass is wet I wear rubber boots and waterproof chaps depending on the situation. Can't find a Muck boot that feels right so I opt for rubber boots. Not the most comfortable but with a better insole they are good to go. One thing I don't like about the rubber boots or the Mucks is they tend to run a little large. I hate boots that move around on my feet especially if I'm walking in a muddy field or doing water work where I might have to step off the bank. As a solution I use some of my left over inner tube from the dog boots and cut a strip about 1" to 1 1/2" wide to put over the instep of the boot to tighten up the fit (might have to go up a size or two with the inner tube if the fit is too tight). The instep strap can be used on your waders as well. Another down side of the rubber boots is the dreaded sock suck....thus the ankle garter.

20170717_082240 (640x360).jpg

20170717_082418 (640x360).jpg

cr

Nice tip! I'll tuck that one away.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 am

I have two pairs of Danner High Ground boots and love them. The odd thing is that they don't feel comfortable initially, the insole seems very hard compared to previous boots I've owned, but at the end of the day I'm more comfortable than with any other boot I've owned. I guess maybe that hardness is some kind of support that I wasn't getting before? Prior to these I had Rocky Cornstalkers and they were OK at best, they were extremely difficult to get on and off because the tongue didn't open out far enough. The High Ground boots are real easy to get on and off. No matter what kind of boots I have though I don't leave home without a boot dryer. The spots we hunt are swampy and wet and you will step in water over the top of your boots :lol:
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bill in Oregon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:46 am

Revisiting this thread, as I now live where the desert meets the mountains in Alamogordo, New Mexico. I need a good pair of light, uninsulated boots with lots of ankle support and protection against cactus, etc.
Looking at the Danners and Meindls, being aware that some of the Danners from China don't have the best reputation for durability. I'll probably have to drive to Las Cruces and Sportsman's Warehouse to be able to try on a few pairs.
Bill in Oregon
Started
Started

PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions