Avery Dog Vest - Modifications

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Avery Dog Vest - Modifications

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 pm

So I have a size Large Avery Dog Vest - the boater model with zipper and velcro along the top of the dogs back. Have used it on my old dog and will now use it on my puppy.

I put it on the pup yesterday and it fits his chest (which measures the 28 inches matching size large) but the 18 inch neck size on the vest is way too large. So the vest gaps open in the front and I fear it can easily catch on brush or weeds when the dog is retrieving. Thinking I will ask the wife to sew a dart of some sort in the front neck area to reduce the circumference of the opening. Maybe put some aqua seal over the seam when she is done.

But I was wondering if anyone here might have already dealt with this and have any suggestions to offer as to how best make this modification. Thanks for thoughts.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Avery Dog Vest - Modifications

Postby Houghtonic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 am

I have a PP and a GSP and the same exact vest for both of them. A large for the GSP and a medium for the PP. I had to cut darts in the neck and at the waist along with trimming away clearance at the front leg/chest opening to minimize chafing. I used neoprene cement. It is the quick weld kind meant for field repairs. You brush it on both sides of the dart seam and let it dry a bit. Two coats of this and when you put the two sides together and hold for just a little time it fuses the two sides together. For the neck and waist put two darts instead of just one. Put them on the stitch lines leaving the last big loop stitch intact. Depending on how big you have to dart to get a snug fit you will have a small "bubble" at the dart location so putting two darts minimizes how much of a bump there is at the base of the dart. I didn't want to destroy a vest so was real cautious before cutting. I started by putting the vest on the dog and using a sharpie to mark how much to trim away from the leg openings and also how much material I'd need to remove via dart at the neck and waist. Trimmed away material then put vest back on before welding the seams. It turned out real nice and those seams are fused. I don't think they will ever come apart and now the vest is a tailored fit for both dogs.
Ripsnorter's Instigator (Raven) NA 112 Prize 1
Houghtonic's Tuff Cookies n Cream (CC) NA 97 Prize 3
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Thank you! Do you know the brand of neoprene cement you used?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 am

You can probably find the cement at a fly fishing shop or maybe any fishing store that sells neoprene waders.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Houghtonic » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank you! Do you know the brand of neoprene cement you used?

McNett Essentials Seal Cement 2 fl. oz tube.

https://www.amazon.com/McNett-Seal-Cement-2oz-Tube/dp/B0047QQ7BY/ref=pd_lpo_200_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6WEHRMZ7MB8AJ94723TQ

You can buy it pretty much anywhere, but I provided a link so you would know what it looked like.
Ripsnorter's Instigator (Raven) NA 112 Prize 1
Houghtonic's Tuff Cookies n Cream (CC) NA 97 Prize 3
Houghtonic
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:53 am

Thank you.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions