Upland Clothing for Small Framed Women

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Upland Clothing for Small Framed Women

Postby Ljewell » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:25 am

I recently spent as much on a pair of pants as I did on my shorthair, and I am just pleased as punch with their performance (both the expensive pants and the cheap dog!)

I'm 5'4, 115lbs, usually about a size 2 or 25 waist.
I purchased the Fjällräven Keb trousers in a size 34 and they are perfect. Perfect! The only thing that would make them better would be back pockets, but I don't miss em.
They come up high enough without going all the way to my armpits, they've got little gaiter hooks to hook to your boots, and most importantly they are thorn proof! I've taken them through prairies and forests, thistles, blackberries, pine branches, you name it. The rest of me might be covered in scratches, but my legs are a-okay!
Carhartt, Duluth, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, etc, none of them made a solid upland trouser that I didn't feel like I was drowning in. I don't need extra fabric snagging on branches while I try to scramble through tag alders and pine groves. The Kebs fit. Not too baggy, not too tight. I don't even really need a belt!

But I am still searching for a game bag, preferably a strap-style, that isn't humongous. I ordered one from Tanglefree based on a review by a woman who looked a little on the smaller side in the photos, but I could almost wrap it around myself twice.
I don't want a children's vest, they rarely are durable enough to last more than a season or two and dang it I'm sick of it.
Has anyone had any luck finding a proper game bag that can be at least cinched down to fit a smaller framed person?
Ljewell
Pup
Pup

Re: Upland Clothing for Small Framed Women

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 am

Wingworks.biz custom builds vests to your specifications. They are big, meant for all day hunts and packing enough water for you and the dog, but I LOVE mine. It's a little loose in the chest for summer training, but once I put a jacket on in the fall it's perfect. I can carry a limit of big roosters and more without feeling bogged down, a good thing when I train the dogs and they retrieve to me!

The vests are meant to last a lifetime. I know guys that have had theirs for 10+ years.

Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cjm » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:06 am

I have a Quilomene San Carlos - you're smaller than I am but I'm a skinny guy and my biggest concern was finding something that actually fit. In any case, when I ordered mine they called me to double check on the size and said they have multiple belts sizes they can put on. You could call them and ask what they have. I really like mine and I've posted on here about it before if you want to read more.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:21 am

Duluth has some fire hose pants I am interested in. They are pricey , but what you get is what you wear out :)
Years ago I bought two hunting vests that fit perfectly and are no longer made. I'll stitch them until I am dead.
Got to feel right when you are out there as well as a gun fit to you, not the other way around.

Closest I could find was this vest -
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... t&i=968874
Zippers would have to installed on pockets.. I hate orange. :lol:
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions