Gunner Dog Crate

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Gunner Dog Crate

Postby bhennessy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm

Any feed back on the Gunner Dog crate, or any other favorite makes? The Gunner crate seems really heavy duty, especially the door and latching system. I'm gong to fly my 74 lb WPG up to training in Wisconsin in a few weeks and he's proven he can push open the door of the flimsy crate I bought at Petco to crate train him in. I had to fashion a piece of copper tube into a door barrier too keep him from forcing it open as soon as I left the house! I'd hate for him to get loose in the cargo hold of a plane...no one's luggage would be safe! Thanks in advance all.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Gunner Dog Crate

Postby JASmith » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 pm

They are solid as a pelican case basically. For me the Ruff Tough are plenty strong and similar design. and half price.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TimberdoodleWI » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Gunners look nice, I spit my coffee out though when I saw the price. Ill stick with ruff toughs
TimberdoodleWI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Well, I broke down and bought a Gunner crate for Bear. My wife insisted on something built like a safe for him to fly in, and I have to admit she is right. It hurt, but its a small investment compared to what I've spent on the dog with collars, birds/loft, training, etc., etc. He got to Chicago just fine except that when I picked him up the clerk said his kennel wasn't an approved variety...after he had already made the trip. She pointed to a picture of a standard flimsy crate with a wire mesh door and said that was the only type. I had to laugh at this suggestion because the Gunner is truly built like a safe.

At any rate, I love this sort of challenge and after lots of emails and phone calls, I think the right people at the airline are talking to the right people at Gunner Kennel to sort out "approval". To be fair, the manager who runs the pet operation is really focused on pet safety but cannot know every type of kennel that comes on the market. She was very receptive to connecting with Gunner and looking at their product. I was motivated by the fact that I need to go get Bear in a couple months and really don't want to make that drive again.

Regarding size, an intermediate size was too small to fly my 70 lb WPG in (but would be fine for the back of a truck, etc.). I had to get the large due to the airline's sizing requirements. They have wheels on the back so you can tip it up slightly and roll it, tie down pins at all four corners, rubber feet to keep them from sliding in the truck/plane, etc., lift handles on top and a really serious door that has a true latch and also has dead-bolt type pins at the corners. The only real beef the airline had was that the Gunner didn't offer a water/food bowl setup that could be filled from the outside. I had rigged up my own which wasn't perfect as it was a bit hard to get to without opening the door, but hopefully Gunner will address this.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:00 pm

Saw an ad for them on FB. They sure do look bullet proof. Like you said, after spending how much $$$ on my mutt, an overly safe crate isn't a bad idea.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions