Dogtra IQ Clicker ECollar

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dogtra IQ Clicker ECollar

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:51 am

I saw Dogtra has an ecollar with a clicker tone feature. Range is only 100 yds so kind of limited. But I wondered if any the experienced proponents of clicker training had any experience, and or thoughts as to the usefulness of the product? The GirlandBeast thread prompted me to bring it up as several commented that clicker training was hard to combine with retrieve training. I wondered if this product would meet that need.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dogtra IQ Clicker ECollar

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:38 am

Is there multiple tones? I thought of using tone as a "good boy" marker, but ended up using tone for recall instead.

At the end of the day, that tone/click marks that a reward is coming, and that reward comes from you (unless you have a remote treat dispenser) and therefore rewards and marking rewards are typically done within voice range.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dogtra IQ Clicker ECollar

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:21 pm

I have never seen the Dogtra product that I posed in my question. I ran across a blurb somewhere this past week which mentioned Dogtra had come out with an ecollar with clicker feature. I looked it up on their website. Description says the transmitter has a clicker so it would seem the tone may come from the transmitter vs the ecollar which would seem to be not much of an innovation in that case other than the ability to also use the nick for negative feedback as well as the clicker for positive will working the dog in close range.

Just wondered what I might learn from those who have clicker training experience relative to this tool. No biggie, I am not in the market for it. Going to try a hand held clicker for the first time relative to some simple initial obedience items along the lines of the approach shown in George Hickox's Great Beginnings DVD.

Years ago my first TriTronics collar had a red button which delivered a buzz tone and then stimulation. It also had a yellow button with the same buzz tone as the red but no stimulation to follow, which I found useful for warning the dog it was messing up but giving it a chance to correct. At the time the collar required you to predetermine the stimulation level with a plug in key, so you had no ability to instantly move corrections up and down to adapt to the best fit for the situation of the moment. So having the ability to warn the dog without stimulating all the time was a nice/necessary feature. The transmitter and collar also had a green button which had a high pitched tone. I used it as a positive good dog praise tool at the time, and felt we got some good benefit from being able to give instant positive and relatively silent feedback to the dog at a distance.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions