Garmin Alpha

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Garmin Alpha

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

So I cashed in the Wife's Cabelas Club points on a Garmin Alpha and a 2nd collar. Been learning it some over the last couple of weeks. I think it will be a nice tool while hunting, but not what I want for training due to inability to vary stimulation instantly on the fly. Will continue using my old Pro 500 for training.

I need to land on a system for carrying the Alpha Transmitter. Was thinking about a strong reliable lanyard of some sort, long enough to reach to a front pocket. Just looked at my options on Gundogsupply and was a little overwhelmed by all the options. Clips, pouches, lanyards, cases ... I hate spending money on something only to find out I don't like it.

So figured it was free to ask those of you who have been using the Alpha for awhile, what system you have landed on for carrying and using the transmitter. Thanks for your thoughts.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Garmin Alpha

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:41 pm

I use the caribeaner clip, and attach it to my shoulder strap on my wing works best. I have to adjust to looking at the map upside down when following my dogs to a point, but my number one concern is not losing that expensive handheld!

If I don't have my vest the caribeaner is too short to attach to a belt loop and be able to read it.

I also use my tritronics for training. There's a touch of a delay on the Alpha also.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:59 pm

I use the clip with a retractable garmin tether. The tether is a must because it keeps you from losing the handheld. I hook the tether on my vest when upland hunting and on my waders when duck hunting.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:15 am

Thank you. Ordered the retractable tether.

Figured out the reason the collar was not working indoors was because you have to go outside to get GPS signal in order for collar and transmitter to communicate each time you turn them on. Once they are synced, it does work indoors. Not too big a deal but an inconvenience. The loss of instant variability in stimulation levels is a real disadvantage for training vs the Tri Tronics tools. Seems Garmin could have done better and not sure why they did not.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions