Camera Suggestions

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Camera Suggestions

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:01 am

I need a new digital auto camera. Something small, auto focus, fast enough to capture action shots and recover fast enough to take a series of photos. As much optical zoom as I can get in a camera that size. Water resistant would be a real plus. I have been using a Nikon Cool Pix S8000, but the flash no longer pops up and the auto focus does not seem to be able to react as fast as it once did.

I have done some google research of course but numerous folks post awesome photos here and I could benefit from tapping your expertise. Part of posting great photos is a photo bucket account or something similar, I suspect, which avoids having to reduce file size. I have not ventured there, will have to learn how to restrict general public viewing ...

Anyone have an opinion on a Sony Cybershot RX100 IV? Anyone done business with CrispDeals?

I would appreciate any expertise you all are willing to share. Thanks.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Camera Suggestions

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:47 pm

I am hoping to find a suitable point n shoot. I don't think there's anyway to beat a quality DSR and I really like my Nikon D5100 with an 18-200mm. It's got me covered from panoramas to long zooms of points, but it's heavy and requires two hands. I'd really to find something I could whip out of my pocket and snap a quick one-handed shot and then move in for the flush. I had a nice panasonic point n shoot but it needed more TLC than I could give it and it ended up sucking debris into the lens that couldn't be removed.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:33 pm

For tech side discussions on cameras DPReview is hard to beat. The forums are vast, information plentiful if seemingly daunting, and you'll of course find Opinions. :)
Base home page:
http://www.dpreview.com/?utm_campaign=i ... e&ref=logo
Compact:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/dprevie ... f=mainmenu
Forums:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums?utm_camp ... f=mainmenu
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Yes I read the reviews on the Sony at that site earlier today. The reviews were very positive. The ChrispDeals had that camera priced over $200 cheaper than anyone else. Wondered if they were a reputable dealer, anyone ever used them?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:30 am

Average,
I looked at the CrispDeals website pretty hard. I don't see a brick and mortar location given, nor anything in their 'policy' pages that lists a state of record. They do state their stock is imported, warranted but not in the US etc. That's paraphrased from one of the last paragraphs of the last page of their Terms and Conditions page here, http://www.crispdeals.com/Terms.asp. Interestingly, they do not show a Privacy Policy.
I think I'll not be sending them my money.

If at all possible, I'd strongly suggest a visit to a store to handle cameras you're interested in. Whether or not you buy it there is something else, but hands on does tell a story.

Regarding DP Review, I check reviews, but prowl the heck out of the Forums for a little more depth. Review articles are good for tech specs and usually strong suits or weaknesses. Good info, but not fulfilling sometimes for a sense of satisfaction of usage. Forum information varies, but there are some really good threads worth finding, such as this one http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56992512 (info and photos on Panasonic LF1 2013 model, show up in the thread). Review/Tech info for that one http://www.dpreview.com/products/panaso ... nic_dmclf1. Full specs show this one isn't environmentally sealed, nor do I see any lens cover, not to mention it is a model a few years old, but still available.

From the 2015 round up... I kind of tend to the Olympus, I have a much older one that has done very well for a long time. Not exactly sealed, it was somewhat shielded with its slide cover. The worst feature for it, and many of the genre is the rather long initialization prior to the camera being ready for the first photo. That's one of those things to check 'in store'. After that, if I was looking at video, the Sony would get a hard look and for long zoom shots, I'd check out the Panasonic below.

Durability and environmental concerns .. might be worth a look at the Olympus Tough TG-4 or TG-860. http://www.dpreview.com/products/olympu ... ts/oly_tg4 ($350/$250)
Sony's Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV has more resolution (very nice!) with lots of video options. http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/c ... dscrx100m4 ($950)
Panasonic (Leica) notable optical zoom, not 'sealed', http://www.dpreview.com/search?query=Pa ... 00%2FZS100 ($400)

BTW, thanks for reminding me that my Point n Shoot is out of date... that could be nice to have upgraded for the new pup's arrival... 5 weeks out now.

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks for the excellent input Nick. I will dig a little deeper.

Kent
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Shaggy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:32 pm

I recently purchased a point and shoot and after extensive research I ended up with a Cannon G16.
My criteria was; quality/ durability, zoom, low light, wifi enabled, and price. After a thorough test in South Dakota last fall, I can highly recommend the camera.
Good luck
Shaggy
Started
Started

Postby bullfrog » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Not sure if this will help, but a few years ago I wanted a good rugged camera to take hunting and use at work. At the time, phone pictures were not the resolution they are now even though it's just a few years later. I ended up with a panasonic lumix. It was water proof to the point that I could dunk it in a customers trout pond and record the fish. It was a real tough design, but over the years I find myself using it less and less. Now I just use my phone most of the time as it takes awesome pictures and always uploads the pics to the cloud. However, if I want better I use my entry level dslr. A camera in between is not as convenient as my phone, but also doesn't take near as good as pics as a dslr. There are occasionally days that are really nasty that I don't want to break my phone and don't want to break my nicer camera where I might take that old panasonic but they are few and far between. A big camera is a pain to carry, but I never regret it when I do!
bullfrog
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the additional input Gentlemen. Shaggy, That Canon suggestion is interesting. Twice the zoom vs the Sony at half the price. Might be the right one for what I want.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 am

One point to make with a lot of point and shoot camera's is most of their zoom is digital, so you can basically do the same thing by cropping and blowing up a picture. Make sure it has a good MP count if that's what you're looking for. Point and shoots are a heck of a lot easier to carry, but I don't carry one typically because the camera on my phone is pretty much as good as one.

I don't carry my SLR enough, there's more depth to those pictures, but it's a beast to carry.

The main thing to look for in a field camera is get one you don't mind carrying. Be that because you think it's too nice, or it's too big. If you leave it at home, it really does no good.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes, I have carried a Nikon Cool Pix everywhere for 9 years because its size allows it. But it is worn out it seems. Flash won't come up and autofocus seems to not work as well as before. My understanding of the Canon, Shaggy brought up is it has twice the optical zoom as the Sony at half the money (140mm vs 70mm), which caught my attention for sure. I have some more research to do. Realistically any of them would probably do what I need.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:11 am

Guess I should have read a little closer.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions