Dodge, Chevy and Ford

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dodge, Chevy and Ford

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Not really a debate. Just want to hear pros and cons from those who have owned all or any 2.
Have had Chevy for all my trucks. Now I want to try something different. I thought ford but bulked when I saw the bed on the crew is only 5 1/2 ft.
Being pushed towards Dodge.

Thoughts?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Dodge, Chevy and Ford

Postby Hdc » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Been driving Fords for years. F250s and F150s, all crews. Love them. Have test driven the new Ram trucks and they are a very smooth ride, but I think Ford beats them in every other category that matters to me. Chevys are good trucks, but I've never like the interior. On the F150s, I always get the 6.5 foot bed. The 5.5 is just too short.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Freeze » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:03 pm

I can only speak from limited experience.

First truck was an '85 Chevy S-10, very basic. 4 speed manual with 2.8 V6. Got roughly 18-20 mpg.
The truck was awesome. Never had a major repair, just change and maintain wear parts. I bought it used with about 60,000 miles. I put another 100,000+ on it.
Only problem was I had a burr on the worm gear in the transfer case that turned the speedometer via a nylon gear. I got tired of changing the gear so I installed a tachometer to indicate speed based on gear and rpm (never got a ticket) and tracked fuel fillups so I knew to change the oil every 150-175 gallons of fuel!

Replaced it with a new 2002 Ford Ranger Extended cab. 5 speed manual with 4.0 V6. Don't recall my fuel consumption.
Truck had good power compared to the Chevy, and it was loaded so creature comforts were welcomed.
I had constant drive train problems, specifically a slave cylinder for the clutch. This went bad <100 beyong warranty. It is also in the Bell housing so it required dropping the tranny to repair, which got expensive.
I had to make the same repair every 35-45,000 miles. I traded it with about 150,000 on the odometer.
I don't think I will ever own another Ford based on the response from everyone at Ford concerning what I felt was obviously a significant problem.

Traded the Ranger on a used 2006 Tachoma Double Cab Long Bed. 4.0 V6 automatic. I get about 17 mpg average.
Very happy with the Tacoma. No significant problems, and a pretty good ride. It fits my needs well. It is under-powered compared to the Ranger, and I am a little disappointed in the fuel economy. I have just over 140,000 on the odometer right now.
It fits my needs very well.

Good luck with your decision.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Traded a 2007 Toyota Tacoma that got 20 mpg for a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 ( 1/2 ton ) 4 x 4 quad cab 6 1/2 ft. box . Truck has a eco diesel engine and mpg is 29 , 30 mpg on the highway. Did a 200mi. round trip with a 8 ft. pop up truck box camper, pulling my 4 hole dog trailer with a 14 ft canoe on top of the trailer and averaged 20.5 mpg. Truck has plenty of power , no problem passing with a load on. Diesel fuel is 25 cent a gallon less then gas where I live
IMG_2898 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2888 (800x600).jpg
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:15 pm

GPblitz. What about cost of maintanance. OIl changes etc. I have heard that it gets expensive. Oil changes can be 100 bucks?
Do you think it is more expensive than gas engines?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:46 pm

I've got a 2005 GMC Duramax. My only expenses so far with over 100,000 miles, are basic maintenance. I have the dealer change tranny, differential(s), transfer case lubes and do the engine myself. I buy the oil/filters at Costco or the local discount store for much less than a dealer will charge. I use Mobil 1 or Delvac or Chevron. 17 MPG. Great truck.

Before that, had a '99 Chevy half ton, 4X4 with 5.3 motor. No expenses other than maintenance. Underpowered for towing but could get 20 mpg. Hauled a pop-up camper pretty well with air bags installed.

Before that was a '93 Ford, 1/2 ton, 4X4, 351 engine. Beautiful truck but a piece of junk. Fuel pressure regulator went out. 3 sets of brakes before 30,000 miles. Rear differential pinion bearings went out. I suppose the new truck are a whole lot better than the one I had. All the problems I had were the same problems a lot of other folks had. 14 mpg was the best it would do.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Hdc wrote:Been driving Fords for years. F250s and F150s, all crews. Love them. Have test driven the new Ram trucks and they are a very smooth ride, but I think Ford beats them in every other category that matters to me. Chevys are good trucks, but I've never like the interior. On the F150s, I always get the 6.5 foot bed. The 5.5 is just too short.

Which categories matter to you?

What about the 100,000 mile power trane warrenty?
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:04 am

Power train warranties are an advertising gimmick. They are probably the most reliable part(s) of any vehicle.

Best thing is to use the internet and search for driver complaints of the vehicles you're interested in.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:27 am

I like the tech in the Fords. My wife drives a Lexus and noted just the other day that my NAV system and back up camera are better than what she has in her Lexus. I like that I can fold up the back seats and have a huge open space with a perfectly flat floor for my gear and/or my dog. I love the tailgate step that the Chevy and GMC guys like to make fun of. The older I get, the more I like it. I like the dependability. I've have one deisel and the rest gas burners. The deisel was a pain. The gas burners flawless. Got 160,000 on the one on driving now with no problems. I like the design, shape, and comfort of the drivers seat. I like the layout of the dash. I like my monster gas tank. I don't like the tire/rim options or the ugly running boards.

But.....I'm not knocking other brands. These are just some of the things I like about the F150.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:19 am

There's a saying about Dodge. Folks don't buy them because they're a great truck, they buy them 'cause they're cheap. This not to say they aren't a great truck, many think they are. I'm probably on my last truck. I expect it to go 300K+. If I were to be shopping today for a light duty truck, I'd look at Toyota or GM. Never see me in a Dodge.

One thing about the new GM's and F-150's. If ya don't get the right color and trim package, they're butt ugly. Ugly dogs are fine. An ugly truck is unacceptable.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Byron.Nield » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:27 pm

I've got to add that my 2015 F-150 has been a great hunting truck. Since getting it in May it has gotten one rooster, one hen pheasant :?, and a total of 6 pheasant flushed... Btw, I love Kansas!
Byron.Nield
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby linderhof » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:45 am

I drive a 2015 Ram 1500. 65k on it and no issues yet. Get 700-750kms on a tank of gas no problem.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby STait » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:47 am

Drove a Dodge Ram 4x4 for over 10 years. The engine and tranny were good, but now that I have my Tundra, I won't buy another "American made" vehicle. At 100,000 miles the oil stays perfectly clean though changes. Couldn't say that about my Dodge at 50,000 miles. Compare resale values, that should give anyone a clue.

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Citron » Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 pm

I know this is an old thread, but had to throw in my two cents.

I have owned and or worked on all the brands. If you are only looking at 1/2 tons, I find that Ford has some of the most durable suspension and strong drivetrain. The older dodges were great trucks, but dodge was always about tens years behind everyone in engine technology. The newer dodges use coil over springs all the way around, so unless you want to do the air bag option, they are not good for loads. Chevy has decent drivetrain and suspension, but the always skimped on interior quality. Cheap materials. My most recent truck is a Nissan Titan. I love it, like many others, I don't plan on going back to domestic any time soon.
Citron
Pup
Pup

Postby linderhof » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:24 am

You need to be honest with yourself and define what you need the truck to do for you. Most people don't come near exploiting what a 1/2 ton can do. Those who go to a 3/4 typically do need and use the extra capacity but pickups are used as daily drivers and grocery getters mostly. Today's new generation of trucks are all good and all give great mileage. Our company runs over 200 Ram 1500 RAMS has no reason to change. My office runs 8 of them and we are all high mileage guys with excellent service from them. I personally am Leary about the new aluminum used in Fords. Not many body shops can do good work on that nor will there be as much aftermarket replacement parts. At some point insurance companies will pick up on that. I feel it was an answer to a question that didn't exist. Trucks are not airplanes. And for the small difference in mileage with the turbo charged ECO boosts I will stick to a V8. Replacing those turbos if they fail is real money. Buy the one that makes you grin the most. They are all good anybody who singles out a brand as inferior...... Well whatever. If you go with Totota you will have a great rig with likely the best resale but will pay for that upfront.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Next

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions