Backcountry Navigator Pro

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Backcountry Navigator Pro

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:07 pm

I've been using this great GPS application on my Android OS smartphone for a couple years and it has rendered my handheld Garmin GPS useless (I do use the Astro 320/DC40 to track dog). The app is called Backcountry Navigator and it costs $9.99.

Here are some of the highlights:
-Free maps, including topo and aerials. I've been using the aerials with topography overlayed. Other activity-specific maps are available for purchase (I haven't purchased any yet) and recently BLM land boundary maps have been made available for purchase for 12 western states that supposedly show land ownership, which I am going to look into when I have a chance.
-Pre-download maps when in an area with no cell coverage
-Uses phone's stand-alone GPS capability, which I find generally really accurate
-Ability to make tracks and waypoints, and export (though this could be a little more user friendly)
-Typical smartphone display much better than most handheld GPS
-Nice compass and stat (speed, direction, distance traveled) feature that I use when roading dog
-Once purchased can be used on multiple Android devices (e.g., phone, tablet, etc), and can be re-loaed if you get a new phone
-App developer is pretty responsive to emails and user comments

It's not perfect, sometimes downloading the maps takes some time and if you forget to pre-download (or don't download a wide enough area) you're pretty much out of luck until back in cell range. Can be memory heavy if you have downloaded a bunch of maps, definitely need a SD card (I have a 32GB in my Galaxy S4 which is plenty for maps, plus all the photos and videos I take with it). I haven't found a way to easily manage the maps I've already downloaded, so I occasionally download the same area more than once. Not available for iPhone, iPad, etc.

Check it out, you may like it as much as I do.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Backcountry Navigator Pro

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:45 am

This app is still my favorite. It turns your Android smartphone into a full-fledged GPS unit. I've purchased the land-ownership layers for MT, NV, and CA and found them to be pretty accurate. I think the major drawback with using your phone as a GPS would be battery life. Also, I've never side-by-side tested the GSP accuracy with a stand-alone GPS unit, but sub-meter accuracy isn't something I need.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions