On Demand Beeper

Hunting, outdoors, and dog products, etc. reviews.
Add your opinion/suggestion to any posting - new or old. OR, create your own!

Moderator: Moderator Pack

On Demand Beeper

Postby mboss » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 pm

I've looked quite a bit online, but I haven't found anything yet. I was wondering if anyone knows - Do they make a collar beeper that only beeps on demand? as opposed to constant?

As in it's silent until you press a button and it sounds? Much like the Tone on many eCollars. I have found the tone on my Dogtra is not loud enough to locate the dogs. I don't like the constant beeping but when he's in high cover I'd like to be able to give him a quick page so I can keep tabs on location.
mboss
Started
Started

Re: On Demand Beeper

Postby huntinmo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I liked my Dogtra T&B, but traded it for a Pathfinder for similar reasons. I like the Pathfinder and I do not have to listen for a beeper anymore! (Can't hear much anyway) YMMV
huntinmo
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mboss » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:59 pm

I actually happened to see a thread about the Pathfinder a bit ago. I hadn't heard of that before and was intrigued. My big drawback is controlling the stimulation from my phone. It's pretty rare I nick him in the field, but the thought of having to dig up my phone, open the app, then get the job done seems like a lot of fumbling for me. I wish they had just included a stim button on the receiver so you don't have to pull your phone out.

How are you liking yours?
mboss
Started
Started

Postby huntinmo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 am

Phone is required, but the app is pretty simple to use. There is of course a small learning curve. I got one of the arm band phone holders like the joggers wear so it is readily available and at least as convenient as reaching for a transmitter when carrying a shotgun. I seldom wear a wrist watch so it serves a double purpose and I use a safety pin to keep it in place on my jacket sleeve. The collar receiver does have to be on for a minute or two and outside for it to connect to the satellites but once connected I have never lost a signal. Changing from the map or the compass to the collar is just a touch of the screen and there is a tone button that only the dogs can hear and my dogs normally react to the tone since they know that if they don't the big button is next! But I seldom use the buttons in the field and the compass usually gets me going in the right direction if the dog is out of sight. It is "different" and takes some getting used to, but so far it has worked well for me.
huntinmo
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GRIFF MAN » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:11 am

The Garmin/Tritronics has a setting called point only. The beeper only goes off when on point. You can also turn the beeper on and off and locate your dog all using a synced transmitter.

I've used them for years and have had little to know trouble.

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Product Reviews & Suggestions