Versatile Hunting Dog Employment

Voice your opinion on member polls

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What do you use your Versatile Hunting Dog for the most?

Upland Birds
66%
Waterfowl
28%
Hare/Rabbit
3%
Bloodtrailing
No votes
Bear/Boar/Predators. Before the shot.
1%
Other
3%

Total votes : 111

Versatile Hunting Dog Employment

Postby Kyle » Sun May 26, 2013 2:42 pm

What do you hunt the most with your Versatile Hunting Dog?
Kyle
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Versatile Hunting Dog Employment

Postby JTracyII » Sun May 26, 2013 2:55 pm

I have historically hunted upland the most, but last year and in the future it will be waterfowl with upland second. This is because I will have a dog more suited to waterfowl and the availability of waterfowl in my area.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby browndrake » Sun May 26, 2013 3:05 pm

It has been a long time since I have had a dog.

This time around the plans are to mainly hunt upland/waterfowl during their seasons, but to chase cougars, boars, rabbits, and squirrels when the birds are not in season. There will be some overlap. Also, I plan on doing a fair bit of blood tracking. It just became legal in UT last year so I doubt that there are many doing it here.

I like hunting all year round.

Guess I don't know how to answer the poll with only 1 choice.
Aaron
aka browndrake
http://www.uglydogblog.com
browndrake
Started
Started

Postby leadeyedbugger » Sun May 26, 2013 3:56 pm

I bought my versatile with thoughts of being equal between waterfowl and upland. But it has leaned heavily towards upland and I my next dog will be bred specifically towards upland with waterfowl as a secondary thought.
leadeyedbugger
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Sun May 26, 2013 3:57 pm

I voted waterfowl primarily based off availability, but I try and hunt upland and waterfowl 50/50.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun May 26, 2013 8:22 pm

I got my Drahthaar pup specifically because I wanted to hunt more than just upland, which is basically all I hunted for with my Labrador. I'm an opportunistic hunter and by no means a purist. Whatever legal game I have an opportunity to take, I'm going to try to take. I eat what I kill.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby largefrag » Tue May 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Would have to say waterfowl only because if given the chance to do both, I would probably hunt waterfowl (we have more ducks than quail around here and I love getting a duck to commit into the dekes) . However, in a perfect world it would be a limit of ducks in the AM and upland the rest of the day. We also hunt doves quite a bit and now that I am trainingg for bloodtracking for the VGP, you can bet your hind end I'll be out trying to recover as many deer as my big game hunting friends can shoot. I don't understand why there has to be a poll or debate. That's why i got a DD, so I could hunt whatever I wanted, wherever and whenever I wanted with one dog who does it all well!
largefrag
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Kyle » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 pm

largefrag wrote: I don't understand why there has to be a poll or debate. That's why i got a DD, so I could hunt whatever I wanted, wherever and whenever I wanted with one dog who does it all well!

There doesn't have to be a debate. One versatile hunting dog forum member thought upland bird hunting was not important to other members of this site because we don't post very many pictures and stories about upland bird hunting in the hunting forum in the Fall. He thought this group was more interested in tracking and bear hunting. Hence the poll.

If one member feels that way there are probably others that feel the same. Since I was the only one that posted bear footage he must have been referring to me. Just to clear that perception, in WI. I get a bear tag once every six or seven years. On the years that I don't get a tag all I do is handle dogs and carry a camera. Bear hunting is my main pursuit in September. I mainly hunt ruffed grouse and woodcock in October and I am the guy with the gun. Being the guy with the gun distracts from picture taking.

Last year I was rigging a camera to the bill of my hat through the tripod mount so I could film some upland bird hunts with my hands free to shoot. Then I lost or misplaced the camera so I did not get any video. We probably should make more of an effort to take some pictures of our hunts. It seems like wild upland bird hunting is the hardest to film and its not all that hard but the camera detracts from upland bird hunting more than the other game we hunt. It was fun in the past we will have to do it again this Fall.

http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=8714

http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... 21#p143021

http://www.versatiledogs.com/forum/view ... 87#p142587

Kyle
Kyle
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm

I voted upland ONLY because I hunted upland SLIGHTLY more than waterfowl last year. Normally I split upland and waterfowl about 50/50. So I guess upland, if you made me choose. Gotta love wild wingshooting over a pointing dog.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Elkhunter » Tue May 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Kyle, its not just the "pictures" of people hunting, though its not hard to snap a shot of your dog on point. Especially if your hunting as many days as some are claiming. There is just little to no talk in general about the topic... A poll is just a poll, just as words are just words. I could say I train for the German system with my pointer does that mean I actually do it?

Hence usually active/fanatic upland hunters LOVE to talk about what they do, and share pictures of what they do. I guess people do hunt upland birds on here, just no one wants to talk about it! :)

But they sure love to talk about retrieving and tracking and fur etc.
Elkhunter
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Hdc » Tue May 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Imagine that. The people posting on the versatile dog forum like to post about the versatility of their dogs. :D
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kyle » Tue May 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Elkhunter wrote: I guess people do hunt upland birds on here, just no one wants to talk about it! :)

But they sure love to talk about retrieving and tracking and fur etc.

Talking about training is common on this site. Many of the members are training for versatile hunting dog tests. Some are new to this and are seeking advice to train for these tests. Advice for the upland bird work is readily available in several sources but this is one of the few places were a beginer can ask advice from handlers that have been through multiple tests. The upland bird work in the natural ability tests is easier than the retrieves. Most HZP/Solms failures are because of a failed retrieve. The versatile hunting dog is supposed to eliminate lost game. The tests reflect this. When training for versatile hunting dog natural ability tests you need to focus more on recovering game than upland bird work to do well. So alot of these posts reflect what the posters dog needs work on rather than the posters hunting preference.
Kyle
Kyle
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Elkhunter » Tue May 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Thats my whole point, I think that the versatile people breed/train for more of a retriever/pointing dog than a pointing dog/retriever.

Which is fine, I guess I will just have to post more of my upland adventures this fall so you guys have something to read about!
Elkhunter
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Elkhunter » Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Hdc wrote:Imagine that. The people posting on the versatile dog forum like to post about the versatility of their dogs. :D

Thats my point, there is ZERO talk of the whole pointy dog/upland bird going on here. Hence this topic and further discussion, you can help their cause though if you could post some pics of your upland adventures this fall. I will even count pen raised birds! :)
Elkhunter
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Hdc » Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I'm just amused by your opinion. I've always thought the hunting discussions on this forum focused primarily on upland and wished there was more waterfowl discussion. Understandably, most posters live North of TN and/or West of the Ms River where upland birds can be found.

Living in Ms, my upland hunting opportunities are very limited. In state, it is limited to pen raised birds. I will be hunting wild birds in ND this October and will try to remember to take some pics for you.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Polls