AKC or UKC registration

Voice your opinion on member polls

Moderator: Moderator Pack

AKC or UKC registration

Postby sphunter » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:29 pm

What registry do you use for your dogs; AKC, UKC?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the one you registered with?

I have been to both websites and would like to hear what people feel about the clubs that use them.

I have registered with the AKC in the past because that is where the parents and litter were registered.

Thanks,

SP
sphunter

UKC-AKC???

Postby Charles Busbee » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:40 am

I have used both for different breeds. If you are thinking trail and tree hounds then UKC is the only way to go. Among hound groups, most events and titles are scantioned by UKC and approved by most hound owners. UKC is BY FAR the easiest to work with. They almost seem to be capable of thinking and reasoning. They have never registered my dog to someone else when it should have been registered to me, neither have they ever sent a check of mine, with my name, address, phone number, kennel name, ect. back to someone else in another state,(who was kind enough to call me and ask what was going on). They also havn't held my paperwork for 6 months without letting me know why the delay, (new reg. fee, & I sent the old amount). My papers would still be there on someone's desk if I had not spent a small fortune on phone calls to get an answer that no one seemed to have. These problems have all happened with AKC. When you have ANY problem with AKC, you are told it it YOUR fault and there is nothing they can do as you don't own your dog because THEY registered him to someone other than you, and only the registered owner can fix the problem. If you make enough phone calls to New York City and Raleigh, N.C. your reg. papers will suddenly appear in your mail box, in your name, without an explanation or apology.
In spite of their attitude, AKC is still the most recognized registry for versitile dogs.
Charles Busbee
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:30 am

I have absolutely no need for AKC as they serve no useful purpose. I do not participate in AKC events.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby sphunter » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:35 am

Thank you for your input.
I have also had problems with the AKC.
I am considering hunt tests. From what I have seen so far there aren't many UKC events here in Utah; so I may have to stick with the AKC.
Thanks again,
SP
sphunter

Postby bellringer » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:00 am

sphunter,
depending on what kind of dog you have you might want to consider the NAVHDA trials they are put on by a great groupof people and they have a ton of information and like the hunt test you compete against a standard and not another dog
Bellringer
bellringer
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby drummingrouse » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:13 am

I am so happy to see that I am not the only one that holds a lot of frusration with our world recognized AKC....I have been waiting 16 months for my last litter registration, and they have told me they have "mailed" it 2 times (they told me it must have been sent to the co-owner.....that is my husband at the same address!!!!). NAVHDA had my litter registration to me in two weeks. Why are they(AKC) holding the standard? Why can't owners of Versatile dogs break the news that AKC knows NOTHING about Versatile dogs? And why can't they admit that they rot at administering paperwork? Any other business in the world would go under with their management. We need to raise the standard. Don't forget if you register your puppy more than 6 mos old, they charge extra and want an explaination why you didn't do it earlier. NAVHDA doesn't care when you register the price is the SAME, AS IT SHOULD BE.
drummingrouse

Postby Chilly Dogs » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:54 pm

sphunter,
Why not do both? An AKC registered dog can also be registered with the UKC. Then you can participate in activities put on by both organizations. I have not had any problems with either registry, but found the folks at the UKC much more friendly and helpful and their shows and trials much more relaxed with a great sense of comaraderie.
Peggy and the Chilly Dogs
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace." Milan Kundera
Chilly Dogs
Started
Started

Postby sphunter » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:31 am

Good ideas, thanks.
SP
sphunter

Postby larue » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:15 am

you guys are being a little rough on the akc,,I ordered the quick version of
the puppy papers,,did not recieve them,,(they were sent overnight express)..they sent out another set,,a month later,my brothers wife hands me the first set,,she had the package for 6 weeks before she decided to give it to me...they live just down the hill from me...
akc is a huge orginization,,some problems are sure to happen...
What about the field dog stud book,,,? I register in akc,fdsb,and navhda..
as I run in all three formats..
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Airedale From NY » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:20 pm

I have dogs registered with both but I think UKC is more pro hunter and I like their events better.
Al
Serious Dogs For Serious Work
Airedale From NY
Started
Started

Postby 16 gauge » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:40 pm

I like the UKC. It goes back to my coon hunting days. The UKC always has been hunter friendly.

Now that I have GWP's, I registered them in both NAVHDA and the UKC. I like the fact that the testing in both is to a set standard, vice competing against other dogs or for that matter, handlers. I think it eliminates the "good ole boy" or "clique" element.

The AKC has been first and foremost a show dog registry. Not trying to bash anyone, but alot of so called MH dogs (but not all) really could not find a bird if they were locked in a closet with one.

In my opinion, buying a NAVHDA or UKC registered bird dog would be a safe bet. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, it just improves the chances of a good companion. You have to do your part (as in training) too.
16 gauge
Started
Started

Postby mngsp » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:38 pm

My GSP is AKC, NAVHDA, and FDSB regsitered.
mngsp
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby vabrittfan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm

AKC is pretty much a requirement with my breed if you want to breed/sell them. I also started doing UKC a couple years ago as well for my own dogs because there are many opportunities for their events in my area. Just like when I lived further north I also registered with CKC to compete in their events.
vabrittfan
Started
Started

Return to Polls