10%
don't own or use a horse
47%
no horse and can't ride one anyway
3%

Total votes : 30

Any Horse People

Postby ccccrnr » Tue May 24, 2011 12:51 pm

just wondering what percentage of folks on here are horse people and if you use them for hunting.

please leave comments
ccccrnr
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Any Horse People

Postby PntrRookie » Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 pm

6 yr old, 16.1 hand TWH gelding, field trial horse owned and stabled at Pro's facility.

PntrRookie
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 am

Heck YEAH!

Can't run Field trial dogs without a couple ponies.....
2 TWH with a third on the way.

We started as a young'n with quarter horses and "graduated" to nice walkin horses as our bones got more brittle.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SelahCowgirl » Mon May 30, 2011 3:19 pm

I have three of my own, then I ride for a lady who ships TWH/Gaited horses from back east to Washington. Never a smoother ride.

Currently the funnest horse on the property:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yitBpcS8-WQ
SelahCowgirl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Tom in WI » Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I've tried using horses, but they are just too difficult to manage in a duck blind.
Tom in WI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Spindog has a couple that'll point birds and I think he's taught 'em to fetch too......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue May 31, 2011 7:21 am

All BS aside,

In Field Trialing the horse has to be a given, you can't spend any time worrying about the horse UNDER you when you're worrying about the dog INFRONT of you, so a good horse is an essential. A couple of good horses is basic.

My older horse CASEY, has been on the field trial circuit all his life. He's an old pro. He is part of the equation for every brace we run. He ground ties, handles like a charm, minds the dogs, pups too, even when they run through his legs. A horse this educated is a real gift. He's the horse I put my friends and first timers on.

I tell a story about my horse dog partnership when we run at trials-

-years ago we were running at Mr Leggets farm in the AKC All Breed Pointing Dog Championship, of course running a Pointer, we had a good run, some bird work, at around 50 minutes in, we LOST the dog, forward, but LOST. I had only an idea where she was, but I just put the horse in the area I thought the dog was (heavy cover), I slacked the reins and the horse took me right to the DOG. magic. (not really, he'd only been in this very scenario a jillion times before, he wanted to find the dog too, so he could browse) The dog was standing a bird in heavy cover at time, FOUND, thanks to my horse. Casey got an extra apple that day.
Last edited by Steve Anker on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ccccrnr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 am

Steve Anker wrote: -years ago we were running at Mr Leggets farm in the AKC All Breed Pointing Dog Championship, of course a Pointer, we had a good run, some bird work, at around 50 minutes in, we LOST the dog, forward, but LOST. I had only an idea where she was, but I just put the horse in the area I thought the dog was (heavy cover), I slacked the reins and the horse took me right to the DOG. magic. (not really, he'd only been in this very scenario a jillion times before, he wanted to find the dog too, so he could browse) The dog was standing a bird in heavy cover at time, FOUND, thanks to my horse. Casey got an extra apple that day.

:shock: :shock: wow, dog finds bird, horse finds dog, hunter rides horse, hunter gets bird :lol:

Selah and Rookie, y'll have some real nice animals there
ccccrnr
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:42 am

Maximus Desmus Moridius (MAX) and Casey. I'm the one in the middle.
Max is 17 hands tall, from the saddle I can see Cleveland from here.
Casey is Cobb-ey, He is shown here in full winter coat (january).
Big Max has been replaced by another Paint TWH - Johnny. The farmer down the road now enjoys Max.

As I've said before....Casey is such a pleasant horse, I'd bring em in the house, BUT, I don't want to wrestle with em on the couch, over the TV remote control.
Last edited by Steve Anker on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby azquailhntr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:13 pm

I grew up with horses but don't own them now. My father still has one. We used them for big game hunting out West. Nothing like riding a horse to the top of the Mtn. away from the crowds and shooting some great animals! Best part is the horse gets to pack them out...I've done it both ways and a horse is the only way I will do that again! :lol:
azquailhntr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RCNZ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 am

No horses of my own at the moment for practical reasons but I'm a farrier so I'm not exactly short on horse hair. Only shoeing part time at the moment as I'm in vet school training to be an equine vet. I also work for a company doing horse (and dog) nutrition work and built all the stabling at the facility.
RCNZ
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:16 am

orhunter wrote:Spindog has a couple that'll point birds and I think he's taught 'em to fetch too......

:lol: :lol:
You beat me to it !!!
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Griffsmom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm

I currently have two. I do not board them and do everything for them myself. This is my newest one I bought in January '13. He is 15.3 hand blue roan paint gelding. I just retired my 23 year old QH from his job of trail riding. Lots of fun.

Griffsmom
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GRIFF MAN » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Griffsmom wrote:I currently have two. I do not board them and do everything for them myself. This is my newest one I bought in January '13. He is 15.3 hand blue roan paint gelding. I just retired my 23 year old QH from his job of trail riding. Lots of fun.

Cool !!!!
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 am

AYE Griffsmom....

Is he gaited? A walking horse? There is NO comparison to a QH.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Polls