Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:18 pm

1 Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
44%
1 Pudelpointer
56%

Total votes : 55

-FINAL FOUR- WPG vs PP

Postby cody » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 pm

You can only own one dog and it has to be one of these two. Which one will work best for how/what/where you hunt?
cody
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: -FINAL FOUR- WPG vs PP

Postby gwphunter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:14 pm

My first choice would be PP because they are a foundation breed for GWP/DD. They are faster and have a more stylish point. But both breeds are excelant dogs. WPG is known to be a good family dog. That is important.[quote][/quote]
gwphunter
Started
Started

Postby JTracyII » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:29 pm

gwphunter wrote:My first choice would be PP because they are a foundation breed for GWP/DD. They are faster and have a more stylish point. But both breeds are excelant dogs. WPG is known to be a good family dog. That is important.

The WPG is also a foundation breed.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwphunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Yes they are, but the PP is a foundation breed for WPG also. It is a hard choice. It all depends on how mutch ground you want your dog to cover and how fast you like to hunt.
gwphunter
Started
Started

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 pm

gwphunter wrote:Yes they are, but the PP is a foundation breed for WPG also. It is a hard choice. It all depends on how mutch ground you want your dog to cover and how fast you like to hunt.

They are ? :?
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:22 am

PP's do it for me. They can handle a hot day better, both dogs do water just fine and my PPs hunt day after day with no problems. We hunt in Alberta
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bluestemkennels » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:
gwphunter wrote:Yes they are, but the PP is a foundation breed for WPG also. It is a hard choice. It all depends on how mutch ground you want your dog to cover and how fast you like to hunt.

They are ? :?

Can't believe everything you read on the internet.....
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
http://www.bluestemkennels.com
bluestemkennels
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:33 am

Lots of first time hunting dog owners getting PP's. Pretty tough to have a valid poll when so few have been around or hunted with both breeds. Even then, so few have been around really good Griffons so the vote may still slide toward the PP. If everyone had experience with the better Griffons and the comparison was then made, the Griff would be the hands down winner every time. It wouldn't be because one breed was any better at bringing birds to the bag than the other, it's the other things that make the Griff a winner.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 pm

What about the Mighty CLUMBER SPANIEL....?
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Booby Prize. I want the booby prize too.....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby linderhof » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:30 pm

orhunter wrote:Lots of first time hunting dog owners getting PP's. Pretty tough to have a valid poll when so few have been around or hunted with both breeds. Even then, so few have been around really good Griffons so the vote may still slide toward the PP. If everyone had experience with the better Griffons and the comparison was then made, the Griff would be the hands down winner every time. It wouldn't be because one breed was any better at bringing birds to the bag than the other, it's the other things that make the Griff a winner.

My next dog will likely be one of these two breeds. What factors make you rate the Griff higher? I have located good breeders of both breeds. Where do you feel one excels over the other? I'm not in a hurry but also want to pick the right breed and have found these aren't as easy to source as other breeds.
linderhof
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Kirby » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:35 pm

orhunter wrote:Lots of first time hunting dog owners getting PP's. Pretty tough to have a valid poll when so few have been around or hunted with both breeds. Even then, so few have been around really good Griffons so the vote may still slide toward the PP. If everyone had experience with the better Griffons and the comparison was then made, the Griff would be the hands down winner every time. It wouldn't be because one breed was any better at bringing birds to the bag than the other, it's the other things that make the Griff a winner.

Sorry to play the roll of Captain Obvious... BUT if you compare "The better Griffons" you would have to pair that with "The better Pudelpointers" If you want an honest representative sample you don't want to just compare the best, you want to compare all the breed.

However I do agree its hard/impossible to have a valid poll when many people only have experience with 1-2 dogs per breed. Doesn't change the fact that the Pudelpointer is a better breed though :lol:
Kirby
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:08 am

I don't get caught up in what breed is better. There is no such thing as a "better" breed.

There are alot of good dogs out in the world. I good dog is a good dog, I don't get care the breed. Now with that said we all have our favorite breed, whether it be because of look, temperment, range etc.

Find a breed you like and then find a good breeder and breeding and go for it.

What you do with that pup when you get it is really what will make a great dog !!

Orhunter,
Quit telling everyone the G.U.N. seceret or I'll have to come out with a case of PBR and talk to you about it !! :lol:
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 am

If kept a secret, the folks who want a good Griff will be forced to settle for a lesser product.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:03 pm

These polls are ridiculous. If you took the best example of each continental breed and placed them all side by side there is no difference.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Polls