Poll ended at Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:16 pm

1 German Shorthaired Pointer
33%
1 Deutsch Drahthar
67%

Total votes : 55

-FINAL FOUR- GSP vs DD

Postby cody » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

You can only own one dog and it has to be one of these two. Which one will work best for how/what/where you hunt?
cody
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: -FINAL FOUR- GSP vs DD

Postby gwphunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:49 am

cody wrote:You can only own one dog and it has to be one of these two. Which one will work best for how/what/where you hunt?

GWP as been my experience are better dead bird finders, but find and point as well as the other versatile dogs.
gwphunter
Started
Started

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:55 am

Hope your not trying to start a DD vs GWP thread. :D Kidding. didnt think you were. I see it is your first post. Welcome to the board! What do you hunt with your GWP.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:49 am

wouldn't it be fairer to debate DD vs DK?

bc in that poll i choose DK

for reasons other than the hunt
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 am

GWP as been my experience are better dead bird finders

really? that's interesting

i would enjoy watching this statement being proven fact, would make for a nice day afield
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 am

DK dreams wrote:
GWP as been my experience are better dead bird finders

really? that's interesting

i would enjoy watching this statement being proven fact, would make for a nice day afield

I think he said it was his experience, not necessarily factual. Sounds like your experience has been different.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 am

I've only watched 3 DDs hunt and they were owned by father and son,these dogs did very well on woodcock.

Actually, what I meant to imply was I'd enjoy seeing it proven,which I don't think it can. I believe ability is on a dog to dog basis and it's not good to generalize breeds.

Watching owners/dogs prove the unprovable would make a good weekend,esp if we could BBQ the retrieves lol
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 am

DK dreams wrote:I've only watched 3 DDs hunt and they were owned by father and son,these dogs did very well on woodcock.

Actually, what I meant to imply was I'd enjoy seeing it proven,which I don't think it can. I believe ability is on a dog to dog basis and it's not good to generalize breeds.

Watching owners/dogs prove the unprovable would make a good weekend,esp if we could BBQ the retrieves lol

I see your point.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwphunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 pm

JTracyII wrote:Hope your not trying to start a DD vs GWP thread. :D Kidding. didnt think you were. I see it is your first post. Welcome to the board! What do you hunt with your GWP.

I have both GWP and DD. I hunt Pheasant, Hun, Sharptail. I hunt Eastern Montana from the Rocky Mountain Front to Central Montana, North and South from the Missouri River to the Yelowstone River. I have owned and bread GSP, Wimeriner, GWP,and DD(same dog , same DNA ,just diferant testing). I have been breeding and hunting GWP exclusively for more than 20 years. They just do better in the cold weather, but hold their own in the Navada desert, but shade more than the other versatile dogs in that environment.
But geting to the point of my observation, and statement on finding dead birds, Here it is. I was sitting on a hill top in the Mohave Desert hunting Chuckar with my life long hunting buddy who had just shot two birds in a valley of thick sage. He had with him seasoned Chuckar dogs that he hunted every day. They were an English Pointer, German Shorthair, and his trusty Irish Setter, all gteat covey finders. As I sat there for 10 min. watching him and his dogs looking for these two dead birds, I radioed down to him to have Gus, my GWP to assist his dogs in finding the birds. He said no leave that ugly dog up there. after sitting there another 10 min. I told Gus to go find the birds. He ran down there to help, and found both dead birds within a couple of minuets and gave them to my buddy . As always he would say they would have found the birds, and I would reply, I'd rather be hunting then sitting waiting for your dogs to find the dead birds. This is not just an isolated incident with Gus all my Wirehairs have found dead birds before many other hunting frends with other breeds, even Retrievers.
gwphunter
Started
Started

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Have a hard time believing that the GWP has a nose so much better than the other dogs...I suspect the desire to get game in its mouth has a lot to do with it as well.

There are a LOT of good GSP...the breed has taken over NAVHDA. It is very hard to argue against so many good GSP. I will stay with the DD simply because the working style is more my style. I like the strengths of the breed, the general calmness, and liveability factor, and, of course, there rugged good looks as Steve puts it :lol: :lol: I am sure there are dogs of other breeds that I could be very happy with. If I dabbled elsewhere, it would be with a PP or LM.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

I'll take a GSP. My nieghbors like thier pets to stay alive !!! :wink:
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:44 pm

What does that mean?
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:05 pm

DK dreams wrote:What does that mean?

As stated. We've had a couple in the the neighborhood over the years . Both D D's thought if it moved it died. One was sent packing, the other started turning on the owners wife. I don't think I have to explain what the end result was there!!. My statement might have opened up a can of worms put to bad, that's my opinion. I've been around some with nice pesonalitys when there owner is present.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm

GSP don't go after neighbors cat?
I knew/know quite a few to do so. And can't look me in the keyboard and tell me all gsp are balanced. You don't know one gsp that growled,showed teeth,fear bite,etc?
The behavior you mention is present in every breed. This is more owner induced then genetic,imho
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Alot more then cats were killed and attacked. The desired to kill is alot more genetic then owner induced. IMO. The one would smash through garage windows to get at your dog if you walked by with your dog on a leash. Don't you think there's a screw loose.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Polls