Upland Gundog Association Hunt Test: Parnell, IA

Listing of tests, training seminars, fund raisers, races, play days, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Upland Gundog Association Hunt Test: Parnell, IA

Postby Ryan Eder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

The UGA is built on the concept of having a hunt test that can appeal to the single dog owner/hunter, all the way to us advanced trainers! It is also one of the only places to upland hunt test a retriever, and actually will allow pointing labs to run in the pointer division (assuming they can comply with the test regulations). The cost is very reasonable, and in just two runs, a dog can earn their title, which is great considering nowhere else can a title be earned in a single weekend. Keep those lodging and travel cost down!! Please check out the site and we would really appreciate your feedback and support. If you want to run a test, please come out! If you have a club or place that can host an event, please contact us! We want to boost the hunt test industry, as well as the sport of upland bird hunting. We have the sponsorship of Native Dog Food, Gundogs Online, Iowa Sportsman Magazine, Magnet Gun Caddy, and are working with DT Systems! Check us out! First event is at Safari Iowa in Parnell, IA on May 12 & 13! http://www.uplandgundog.com
Ryan Eder
Pup
Pup

Re: Upland Gundog Association Hunt Test: Parnell, IA

Postby Ryan Eder » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 am

Don't miss out! Visit our website to enter! www.uplandgundog.com
Ryan Eder
Pup
Pup

Postby Blue River » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:57 pm

The NAVHDA tests allow the possibility of gaining a title in one weekend, however they do not allow pointing labs. Good luck with the new club.
If it doesn't have a beard, it's not a whole dog!
Blue River
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Blue River » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm

It appears to me after reading the rules on the site that it is more of a Bird Dog Challeng type event than a hunt test. Hunt tests are set up so dogs are competing against a standard, not one another, in most HT venues.
If it doesn't have a beard, it's not a whole dog!
Blue River
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby becassier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 am

I have read the rules in both the Upland Gundog test, the advanced test and the Open Gun Dog Competition.

The Upland Gundog test 10 minutes max in the field with an E-collar (seems odd to me for an evaluation) ~ 2 bird find (steady to flush), with 2 retrieves. Can't hardley tell me anything but my dog is fast. Same can be said with the Advanced 20 minute max, 2 dog brace, no E-collar ~ includes a back per dog, 2 finds per dog (steady to shot) and 2 retrieves per dog. Lots to look at and do in time frame given.

To me a "hunting evaluation" or "hunt test" ~ to judge hunting ability needs an amount of time to judge dogs in a field without contact of game.

Open Gun Dog - Timed event 10 minutes - no bracemate - 3 birds - hold point for 5 seconds - steady to flush - retireve with in 1 step of handler. Fastest time wins.

Don't get me wrong, anything that gets people out and enjoy hunting or compeating with their dog is a good thing. Just call it what it is, a game, you win ribbons. I am not bad mouthing your new club, I'm justnnot sure what this offers, that NSTRA doesn't. Over the years I have been envolved with NSTRA, VHDF and NAVHDA, I encourage it all.

By the way VHDF offers hunting evaluations for any pointing breeding including Pointing Labs.
www.aspenridgekennels.com
Facebook - Aspen Ridge Kennels, Braque du Bourbonnais - Upland Hunters, Woodcock Michigan
becassier
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Dakotazeb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 am

I would have to agree with the other posters on your oganization. It's truly not a "hunt test" but more properly a "game". Quite similar to the various bird dog challenge events around the country. And there seem to be plenty of them. Here's a similar one in Minnesota. http://www.uplandgundogseries.com/

But what the heck, if your event works for you and the members more power to you. We each have our own likes and dislikes. I personally do not care for events where "time" is one of the major scoring considerations or where pointing dogs only have to hold point for a few seconds. Generally makes for some sloppy dog work.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Events