Looking for GSP

For sale (no puppy/dog ads), wanted to buy

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Looking for GSP

Postby Tyler Stahl » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:27 pm

I'm located in southeast missouri so it would have to be somewhat close.
Tyler Stahl

Postby thunderchicken » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:04 pm

Tyler,

I obtained a GSP in Shawnee KS, a couple years ago, if you would like the breeder's info send me a pm and I'll let you know the last known phone number I have.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ME » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:17 pm

Tyler,
Contact Charlie Rose, WildRose@texasquail.com, He will hook you up! Best all around GSP's in the country...
Don't be a liberal
http://www.kgov.com
http://www.tcuplandhunt.com
God's enduring commands still stand and you will be judged by if you publicly stood up for them. Matthew 10:32-33
1) Thou Shalt not Murder (this includes Abortion)
2) Thou Shalt not commit Adultery
3) Thou Shalt not steal (this includes having the government steal for you)
4) Thou shalt not bear false wittness (purgery)
ME
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Brown Dog » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:37 pm

Try Sundance Kennels in Centralia, MO. I don't know if Fred Rice has any pups on the ground right now, but he breeds some good dogs. Following is a link to the Sundance web site: http://www.sundance-gsp.com/
Brown Dog
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tyler Stahl » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:39 am

Thanks for the speedy reply's guys. Brown Dog what part of the state is Centralia located in? I hope to find a dog or a breeder close. How much should I expect to pay, i will try to try the dog but if it is untrainable i will prolly just keep it as a pet, i love the way the dogs look.
Tyler Stahl

Postby Chinchy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:23 pm

Tyler
Are you interested in a started dog or do you want a puppy? If you are interesred in a started male P.M. me and give me your phone # I will call you and tell you what I have.
Chinchy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Tyler Stahl » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:01 pm

Either one Chinchy, but i won't be able to travel over a couple hours to get one, i was hoping someone in the surrounding area would have one.
Tyler Stahl

Postby MCTuna » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:32 pm

Tyler
You are making a 12 year commitment> Travel or have it shipped but get a good one!!!!!
Best of luck & Let us know what happens!
Tuna
"Sam" Grey Wynn Franklin's Freedom SDX,RDX, NAVHDA UT 1 (204)
"Delilah" Westend's Buck'n the Wind SD,NSD, NAVHDA UT 2 (200)
MCTuna
Master Poster
Master Poster

Gsp pup.

Postby cindie » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:56 pm

Tyler,
You are making a long term commitment to have a great dog.Buy a dog from good hunting stock and not where it is located.You can get a pup shipped for around 100.00,that's how much shipping is for my clients and if exceeds that I pay the balance.If you get a good line and a good breeder who is willing to help you train your dog you should have a wonderful hunter and companion.I have numerous clients be a first time gsp owner and first time training I am always there to help them out and give advice and help start them out.It also helps that I breed dogs to have allot of natural ability so makes it easier on them.You are looking to pay 600.00 + for a good pup and line.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to e mail me.
cindie

I disagree, see the pups....

Postby ditchbanger » Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:16 pm

Out of a litter, not every pup no matter who the breeder/parents will make good hunting dogs. ! or 2 will be exceptional and probably kept by breeder or close friend, 3-4 will be good hunters 2 will be subpar and 1-2 will be pets. I have bought pups over the phone that have been flown in sight unseen. One was a lab I wanted to FT out of FC/NFC finalist Pipers Pacers Pic and a FC bitch named Ms. Chief, she ended up having retinal folds but by the time I had her checked at 10 months me and my trainer knew she wasn't going to have it. I got my money back and she went on to be used as a gun dog by the breeder, but what a waste of time. I now have a 5yr. old pointer who is a nice dog but was slow to develop. The breeder is a well known breeder and offered to replace him but I declined because I like the dogs personality, just not his instincts. And who knows what would have become of him if I sent him back? He has come around and I am happy with how he's doing, just have to use kids gloves and alot of patience.

My 8yr. old gsp was bred by people that just plain old hunt their dogs. The best 125.00 I ever spent. I will probably buy another dog long distance but will never not see the litter and pick my own pup out. Way to many variables when buying a dog to just send the money, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Someone is gonna get a dud, I just don't want it to be me.
ditchbanger

Postby gohntng » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:26 am

Ditchbanger, you say someone is going to get a dud, but you don't want it be you! At 7 weeks or whatever age you pick it, what do you look for in a few minutes to a hour visit?
Most reputable kennels I know, sell all the pups before being born, and usually I'm never 1st pick.
I see litters that have bold pups, chasing tame ducks, raising havoc with penned pigeons, then go to homes where all of a sudden that person that hunts everyday, or weekend, does not have a few minutes to spend the time to bring the pup along. The pup has never had a chance to developed the go, desire, or be introduced to birds, to get a start before hunting season. So is a lack luster pup.
The last litter, I kept a middle of a road pup in boldness, she would look at a flock of tame ducks, then follow a while, then an all out chase. Two other females would just haul "A" after them. The pup I kept now, hits the water 6-8 feet from the bank, and tries to swim as hard as she can to retrieve.. I never saw that in her when she was a pup....
So, my question is, How, or what do you do to insure that the dud hidden in a litter, other than sickness or physical deformaties, doesn't go to your home? Curious!! What does a dud look like that young?
I don't want one either, but I'm a firm believer in picking parents that throw good, sound pups, then give the pup the exposure to the world, people, other animals and birds..
A male I have, when I bought him as a pup, we had to keep pulling pups from out from under a porch where they crawled to get out of the sun... One was a kitten, and I still swear, they tried to pass it on as a puppy!!! :P
Two pups were the same size, they would get off by themselves, but generally just laid around and wrestled with the other litter mates. I did not have a clue, to see what either would be physically like or their mannerisms, just by looking at them. I had to guess by looking at the parents. It ended up both were great, but way different, in the way they ran, and their body types.
I'm going to pick another pup out in 4 weeks, I'm curious, and it might help me out>>>
gohntng
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ditchbanger » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:35 pm

I also believe in good sound parents, plenty of exposure to different sounds, smells and environments as a pup. But if a kennel has 7 pups and a waiting list you know every pup is going to a new home.

Do you think that because good sound parents are used for stock or that XYZ kennels bred a dog that all 7 are top candidates for hunting? Just as some are bold some are wallflowers. I honestly would not pick a 7 week old labrador that wouldn't at least chase a small dummy or ball, would you? Just as I wouldn't pick a pointer/setter pup that while I was watching, wouldn't chase and point tweety birds/butterflies/ or leaves falling off trees. Dogs do mature at different rates and some catch up and make fine hunters or field trial dogs. There have been leftover pups that have become NFC champions, like Candlewoods tanks alot.

I just trust picking my own pup out and when I do I give myself more than a few minutes to a hour to look at a pup. The setter I picked up saturday I visited 3 times before picking her. I know either of the other 2 will make classy birddogs, but this little girl just had confidence that caught my eye and as I type is getting into a mess...
ditchbanger

Postby Hunter » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:19 pm

Ditchbanger,
I agree with you that not all the pups in a litter are the same. Getting a "dud" is always a possibility no matter who are the sire, dam, or breeder.

It sounds like you were treated fairly by the breeders of your lab and pointer.

It suprises me that more buyers don't demand some guarantee about a dogs ability, temperament, and soundness/health. Everybody, please don't bother to tell me that the breeder can't make guarantees because the owner may "ruin" the pup with improper exposure, I don't buy it. Very few people pay $500+ for a pup just to abuse it.

I'd say there is something to buying from a breeder near you. One, you get to see the parents, much better than listening to a description over the phone, looking at a photo, or relying on test scores. Two, the breeder probably hunts the same type of game as you, meaning the parents are good dogs on that game. Three, you can get training help from the breeder. Four, you get to observe the litter and pick one that you fancy.
Hunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gohntng » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:55 am

Ditchbanger..
I guess I've just been lucky in my picks, I haven't been to a kennel that has birds that are in the yard or falling leaves tp point. Most pups at 7 weeks are being picked up or shipped, so having several days to look at them, has been out of the question.
It is hard to find a litter that several pups haven't been sold before the mating... So getting 1st pick is hard if not impossible.
What I'm interested in, is how you get a first pick when you want a pup? Do you go to only large kennels with several litters on the ground at all times, or is there a large number of breeders in your area? Do you buy ahead of time before you really need another dog?
gohntng
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ditchbanger » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:50 pm

gohntg obviously your trying to bait me into an argument. Reread my post I never said I had to have 1st pick, the setter I just bought was the 4th of 8, 2males and 1 female went ahead of me. I just want to pick my own dog. Is it that hard to understand? Ever hear of buying pigeons? Ever check with local clubs, get to know members and get a pup from them? If you like to have someone close their eyes and grab your pup and ship it out I hope you stay lucky. I won't hijack this thread anymore.
ditchbanger

Next

Return to Marketplace