wanted birds

For sale (no puppy/dog ads), wanted to buy

Moderator: Moderator Pack

wanted birds

Postby trigger » Tue May 06, 2003 11:10 am

I would like to find some birds around indiana for training my dog.
I would prefer pigons or quail. I would like atleast a dozen to start
and if you would please price them. thanx
trigger

Quail

Postby Green-Ranch » Wed May 07, 2003 5:05 pm

It is a bit expensive but as a last resort I can ship you 12 quail for $95.00.
Green-Ranch

Postby pocono.shorthair » Wed May 07, 2003 7:06 pm

Try checking out a web site called That Quail Place( www.shaywood.com ) .They have a discussion forum with a buy and sell section. The members there have given me a great deal of help with raising my birds. I have 12 coturnix quail and 24 pheasants to be used for dog training. The coturnix are quite cheap ($2.00 per bird), good for sight and smell training, but are poor flyers. Hope this helped... Jon
I never thought my non-hunting wife would get me so interested in upland bird hunting.(She just had to have a German Shorthair)
pocono.shorthair
Started
Started

Postby trigger » Thu May 08, 2003 5:55 pm

thanx it helps.
trigger

Postby thunderchicken » Fri May 09, 2003 7:57 am

Trigger,

What I've been doing lately is catching pigeons, I enjoy it. I tried a trap, but the birds kept going in and out at their leisure. It was made by a reputable company, but the birds could get out through the bobs some how. Any way, what works the best here is a fish net. I bought a large inexpensive fish net, went into the loft where they roost and when they went to go for the door scooped them up in the net. The farmer despises these birds and is thankful that I'm weeding them out for him. Find a farmer that will allow you trap your own birds. If there is a hunting preserve around you anywhere you normally can pick up the quail, ringnecks, chuckar, whatever there fairly inexpensive.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby trigger » Fri May 09, 2003 10:16 am

thank you I will look in to both of those ideas thanx again
trigger

birds in indiana

Postby birdhunter1 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:32 am

what part of indiana are you from, i know a couple of places in the indianapolis area. email me at birdhunter@cyber-rights.com
birdhunter1

birds

Postby Bullseye » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:01 pm

You should be able to find quail in the fall for 2.50 and pigeons for about the same, How old is the dog you are working? pigeons are usually a better choice for pups. the pigeons will recall as do quail with a small recall pen. Chukars are also a good bird to use and they recall as well but they cost a little more. You can go to a preserve but birds tend to be pricey for training purposes. I go to a couple nice preserves in Indiana, one being Royal Flush , they also hold some pretty good events in the spring and fall. They are located 20 miles north of Terre Haute in the Rosedale/Clinton area. They have a website if you are interested. Hope this helps.
Bullseye

Return to Marketplace