Pigeons;N WI

For sale (no puppy/dog ads), wanted to buy

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pigeons;N WI

Postby Gunnar » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:45 am

Just wondering if anybody knows of a place to find pigeons in northern or central WI. In my area almost impossible to find. Thanks.
Gunnar

Postby Hunter » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:59 pm

Gunnar,
Where are you in Wis.?
Are you looking for homers or barn pigeons?
Are you looking for just a few birds or for a source to buy/catch birds?
Hunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby larue » Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:59 am

hunter if you have pigeons anywhere in soutern wis,,let me know,,
I can sure use them...
larue
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby thunderchicken » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:03 am

Does anyone try to trap pigeons? I have a working relationship with a local farmer who is more than happy for my to trap pigeons. The only trouble is finding something these well fed pigeons want. They ignore the cracked corn and sunflower seeds I'm trying to feed them. I'm just baiting now, and was planning to set the trap once they got used to feeding in one area.
thunderchicken
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Hunter » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:59 am

Sorry Larue, I am pretty far north. I have a few extra pigeons, been keeping them all winter even though I don't have a pup to train.

I've been successful in "catching" pigeons with a fish net a flashlight under bridges/buildings that are over water and close enough to the water to reach. I take a small rowboat (no motor) out and patrol up and down under the building. There is enough at one of my spots, that I don't take anything that is on a nest. I've even tagged the pigeons I've caught and used, then recaught them back at the same spot.

I haven't had much success with setting out pigeon traps. I don't think they are made well enough. The birds are able to get out.

At times the local factory has an exterminator come in to trap the pigeons. They have much better traps then I can buy, very effective. Talk with the mill officials or exterminators, they let me take the pigeons out of the traps. The only downside of this is it only happens a few times a year, I end up having to keep pigeons longer than I want, just so I know I have some for the future. Also, the factory wants the birds killed....they payed to have them removed. If I don't kill the birds, they will go right back. So, I have a stock of "kill" birds, and some homers.

If I am really hard up for birds, I buy them at a NAVHDA training day.
Hunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Gunnar » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:06 am

Hunter, I am in far northern WI, so there arent any factories or farms to trap pigeons. I guess Im looking for a source to buy pigeons. Homing or barn not really important. Probably a dozen or so at a time. Any info. appreciated.
Gunnar

Postby Hink » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:44 pm

If there is anyone that knows of any place in Northern IL or Southern WI, I would also like a dozen at a time also.

Hink
Hink
Started
Started

Postby huntdogPa » Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:10 pm

I would be interested in places to catch pigeons in n.west pa . if anyone can help.
huntdogPa

Re: Pigeons;N WI

Postby miravizslas » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:51 am

http://www.ifpigeon.com/

Is the webiste for the American pigeon fanciers. Often, you can get culls from a pigeon breeder for very little. We used to have a guy in the same town that gave us his culls for free - the only condition was that they not return to his coop :-) But you may be able to track a local breeder through the website.
miravizslas

Return to Marketplace