Shed hunting training

For sale (no puppy/dog ads), wanted to buy

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Shed hunting training

Postby Franklinhunting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:41 pm

I am looking for some antler silhouettes like the ones used in the Dokken training videos, and also looking to buy some smaller sheds that will be used for training my puppy.
Franklinhunting
Pup
Pup

Re: Shed hunting training

Postby Freeze » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 pm

I haven't seen the video nor do I know anything about shed hunt training, but you might be able to iuse the replacement antlers for archery 3D targets.

I would be willing to bet that asking an archery hunting buddy or two would result in finding a synthetic antler.

Good luck with the pup.

-Freeze
Freeze
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Franklinhunting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 pm

That is an idea worth looking into, I have some time being that he is 12 weeks old now. I am first going to be getting him around birds and start with training there. But I am thinking this would be a nice way to spend more time in the woods plus help scout what bucks made it through the winter for fall hunting.

Thanks
Franklinhunting
Pup
Pup

Postby Hdc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:58 pm

What type of dog do you have? I have a PP and found that the silhouettes were not needed. Completely skipped that part of the training. According to my interpretation of the DVD, they are primarily used to teach labs to hunt and/or expand their search. Mines does that naturally.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Franklinhunting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:17 pm

I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, all of what I seen before when I browsed the idea of getting a dog for it never used them. Now that I have a pup and I am doing more in depth research and they called for using them. How did you start your training for sheds with your dog?

Thanks
Franklinhunting
Pup
Pup

Postby Hdc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 pm

You will probably need the silhouettes with a chessie. They are used to get the dog comfortable with or accustomed to searching out in front of you and expanding the search as needed. Most versatiles do that naturally. The DVD gives gives pretty good step by step instructions.

As a pup, I used a shed as one of his retrieving toys to get him use to retrieving sheds. Formal shed training started much later.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:00 pm

I have a pile of small sheds if nobody else has one for you. Send me a PM with your address.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Marketplace