Dove Hunting Wi

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dove Hunting Wi

Postby Mike50 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:21 pm

Can't take it any more. Need to get the dogs out . Going to try dove hunting for the first time ever. Any tips anyone would care to share? Our season opens Sept 1. Am thinking it should be good for marking retrieves if I'm lucky enough to hit one of them. Anyone else hunt dove? I know it'll be a hoot with two young dogs :D
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 am

been doing it for years-

good thing to do is find a place where doves come in to drink- sit in a lawn chair and have the dog on leash- only release when you drop one
carry plenty of water- to wash out the dogs mouth- dove feathers are fine and they can hurt a dogs retrieve- specially a yound one

light loads and a tight pattern- doves don't run
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jed » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:32 am

Doves are fairly predictable. They will follow the same pattern pretty much every day.

Early AM they leave the roost area, and head to feed

Late AM they gravel up, and head for water, then roost some more

Late afternoon head back to feed

Evening more water, and back to roost

If you can pin down whatever is in least supply you will find the birds more concentrated. Where I hunt we are surrounded by three sections of milo and sunflowers so food does not concentrate them. Roost trees and water are scarce so we hunt there.

A good scouting technique is to drive around at mid day, and look for birds sitting on power lines. That will help determine what food source they are using.

Cheers
Jed
Jed
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JC » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Jed wrote:Doves are fairly predictable. They will follow the same pattern pretty much every day.

Early AM they leave the roost area, and head to feed

Late AM they gravel up, and head for water, then roost some more

Late afternoon head back to feed

Evening more water, and back to roost

If you can pin down whatever is in least supply you will find the birds more concentrated. Where I hunt we are surrounded by three sections of milo and sunflowers so food does not concentrate them. Roost trees and water are scarce so we hunt there.

A good scouting technique is to drive around at mid day, and look for birds sitting on power lines. That will help determine what food source they are using.

Cheers
Jed

a good dove hunter quote- spot on
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Napoleon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Be aware of the new ruling regarding shot for dove hunting.

Starting this year if you are hunting on Public Land you have to use non-toxic shot in Wisconsin.

Same with any Federal lands.
Napoleon
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Mike50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:56 pm

Napolean Thanks for the reminder. Still need to pick some up as public land is were I was planing to go too. Know were to get 7 1/2 or 8's?
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:18 pm

JC, Jed, You guys use decoys? If so how many should I get. Please don't say 100 :? I just want to fill in the two weeks till grouse season opens. Going to use the doves mainly for retrieves in tall grass. If I'm lucky enough to get any?
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jed » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:35 pm

Mike,

You say that now. But if you find good shooting it can get addictive.

I don't use decoys anymore as the place we hunt is usually pretty thick with birds, and they are not needed. But they do work. If birds are scarce I would definitely use them, 8 or 10 should be plenty. The biggest advantage I have seen is they pull birds in range that might have passed by too far out.

Couple of more thoughts.

Doves love dead trees, great places to set up.

When birds are incoming don't move until your ready to mount and shoot. Lots of birds are flared out of range because the shooter tries to "get ready" for an incoming bird too soon.
Jed
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Mike50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Jed Thanks! Going scouting the next two days. I know of a small pot hole with water. Will look for some dead wood when I'm out there. I'll try to keep in mind not moveing till their close enough. Any thought on keeping the dogs still?
Thanks Mike,
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Once heard a young Cajun guide tell one of our dove hunters, "Just go get by a naked tree." And that remains some of the best advice I've heard.

While you're checking out that potential waterhole, look for "naked" ground along its bank, as well. Doves like bare ground underfoot.

But be careful with the young dogs, doves have started many a hard-mouth case. One moment they're mouthing all those loose feathers, the next they're tasting dove, and the next they may be swallowing the little booger.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2008-2009 season log)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks Rick. Never heard that before. Just thought as long as my dogs wouldn't eat a pigeon durning training. A dove shouldn't be that much different. Or am I wrong? Same size.
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:48 pm

Same size??? Y'all must shoot monster doves compared to the little, bitty boogers you send down here. That or you've dwarf pigeons.

I've long forgotten the scientific name for the phenomenon, but doves are quite prone to letting go of or shedding their feathers when stressed - like being shot. Pigeons and even grouse will sometimes do it, too, but a dove's size and the hot weather he's often shot in make it more of problem. Pup is hot, his saliva is sticky and he'll be anxious to clear the wads of loose feathers, which usually ends up with him mouthing a mere morsel of a bird that also happens to be oozing tasty juices.

Manually clearing the feathers from Pup's mouth between retrieves will help, as will lots of water to help wash what you miss down and keep Pup's saliva a little less viscus. But there's still a lot of both aggravation and temptation going on during retrieves for an inexperienced dog - or an experienced one, for that matter.

(My current young Chesapeake has handled a hundred or so training pigeons and well over a thousand ducks and geese in his puppy season, but I still don't expect to early season doves over him this year. The risk/reward ratio just doesn't justify it in our case.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2008-2009 season log)
Rick Hall
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:24 pm

Rick Thanks much for your last post! Know you've got me thinking about even trying it :( The last thing I want to do is teach them to chow down on a bird. On the size of them yes the older ones are about the size of a pigeon. Took a long time just to get a season up here. Not sure but I would say it has only been within the last 5 years.
Mike50
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Napoleon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:22 am

I have 8 decoys plus one of those $10.00 flying dove dekes from cabelas.

Works pretty good on windy days. It especially will attract pigeons if your near a barn.

Nice thing about dove hunting is you can put all of the gear, decoys, fold up stool, dove call, shot shells, food and drink into one backpack and transport it to your favorite spot quite easily.

Its an inexpensive way to tune up for the rest of the small game seasons.
Napoleon
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JC » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:36 am

Mike- all good advice- Rick is correct- our doves here the breast is tiny and those feathers- you have to get them out of the dogs mouth

naked tree by itself is the ticket- but also I do quite good in cedar trees by a pond- just do some scouting

dogs- they need to sit or lay quiet and still- just one is best- you need a steady dog as the they can hear the wings when the doves come in to roost or drink- and they will flare on movement- I connect mine to me and release when one falls

mostly on ducks it's when upland hunting and I hear some ducks or geese talking- I tie up the Britt's and sneak up- try to get real close and flush them- then go untie the Britt's

DocE says how do I do blind retrieves- untie after I shoot and they charge off looking for what fell- mine know to go looking when I shoot
got to chuckle though- my female doesn't quite like the taste of ducks so she'll drag them back by the wing- geese too- but they're big so I try to help her- she'll bring them thru the water and sit till I get there 8)

I've set out 5 decoys a time or two in a pond within 25 yards- the Britt's really sit quiet- intense- versatile pointing dogs I'd say
American Brittany's-
JC
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms