Played Hooky

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Played Hooky

Postby RowdyGSP » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Figuring it was the last day of the Idaho waterfowl season, I played hooky from work (we are super slow at work right now anyway) and took Rowdy out. Almost all of the honkers and mallards wanted to be out in the big open water in the middle of the lake, but we did get a single to come take a look at the decoys. He got a little too close and became the only bird of the day for Rowdy and I. Closing weekend of upland birds is this weekend, but it's supposed to rain pretty hard in the areas I normally hunt, so we will see.

Last edited by RowdyGSP on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Played Hooky

Postby LongHammer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Nice work. Way to end it. Work during the closing of waterfowl is for suckers!
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Gotta do what ya gotta do. The sacrifice justifies the results.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Way to make the most of your opportunity. I played hooky today too!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm

I started when getting a Canada Goose was a rare and treasured Trophy Bird. I am fortunate that the feeling has stuck with me. Any day spent with your dog and bagging a Honker is a great day.

I had the first Maxima species Canada I bagged mounted. It was taken in a zone centered around a state/federal Waterfowl area where they had been re-introduced and the numbers built up such that a season had been opened. You had to buy a tag and place it on the goose's leg when you took one, and were allowed only one tag a season. I scouted and then knocked on some doors and got permission to hunt on a place the geese flew over regularly. I hide in full camo in a hedgerow and pass shot a 13lb goose and my first GWP Hank retrieved it. Was a big day for both of us.

Hope that is the kind of joy this hunt brought to you and Rowdy. It has been a good season and we should be always thankful for that.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I started when getting a Canada Goose was a rare and treasured Trophy Bird. I am fortunate that the feeling has stuck with me. Any day spent with your dog and bagging a Honker is a great day.

I had the first Maxima species Canada I bagged mounted. It was taken in a zone centered around a state/federal Waterfowl area where they had been re-introduced and the numbers built up such that a season had been opened. You had to buy a tag and place it on the goose's leg when you took one, and were allowed only one tag a season. I scouted and then knocked on some doors and got permission to hunt on a place the geese flew over regularly. I hide in full camo in a hedgerow and pass shot a 13lb goose and my first GWP Hank retrieved it. Was a big day for both of us.

Hope that is the kind of joy this hunt brought to you and Rowdy. It has been a good season and we should be always thankful for that.

Yes, I agree. I would rather shoot 1 goose than 3 or 4 ducks. There's just something pretty awesome about watching a big ol honker fall out of the sky while your dog busts ice to go get it.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms