Slow start

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Slow start

Postby Bigearl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Well we've kicked off our chase for bobs in north Texas. Hunted about 3 hours this afternoon, covered a lot of ground, and only found one covey

Hopefully that's not the only covey here and tomorrow goes better.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Slow start

Postby J D Patrick » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 am

wishing you some good luck!!
J D Patrick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 am

Good luck Earl. It's the best time of year to be in Texas!
Willie T
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:42 pm

I don't know if you are hunting places new to you or not, but I was on both of last two trips to KS. Each trip the first day was slow and we did not find as many birds as we did every day after. In effect we were prospecting/hunting and learned more than when we started as to where there were birds and where there were few or none. Eliminating areas with few birds then allowed us to spend our time elsewhere and we did alot better. Hopefully you will have a similar experience.

Lots of good bird hunters have reported bird numbers in TX being way down from last year (which was the best year most had ever, and will ever see. Certainly was for me). Saw a FB post this morning from a long time pro trainer/guide running a string of pointers who lamented only finding 7 coveys yesterday and difficult work on the singles. I am headed to TX in Feb and talked to a pro trainer/guide on that ranch yesterday. I mentioned how tough scenting conditions were in KS this past week and he responded they were extremely difficult on that TX ranch as well. Extremely experienced EPs (and Labs retrieving) were all struggling, particularly on the singles... Keep us posted. Always enjoy hearing about others times in the field.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Poor scenting conditions is right. I don't believe it's rained 3 inches since Labor Day. I am currently hunting a new part of the ranch. The deer hunters will be gone tomorrow and I can head to some familiar ground finally. Walked a food 4-5 miles today and only found the one covey from yesterday again. Pup never pointed them so no shots fired today.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Well the light bulb finally came on this afternoon! We managed to find a couple coveys today. Despite the 30 mph winds Hannah managed to locate a few.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby LongHammer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 pm

Get it done BigEarl! Hate to see them die of natural causes.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 am

Go get 'em! Looking forward to seeing photos of your successes.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Think I might change my dogs name to Triple B which stands for "bird busting bitch"
Today was one of those days. Moved over to a river bottom I've hunted before. Found three coveys in about 2 hours. Never fired a shot. Pup would point for about 3-4 seconds and then just pule in on them. Lot of head shaking today while mumbling that dang bitch under my breath
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

How old is she?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Oh she's just over a year and this is her first season afield. We don't have wild upland birds where I live so it's a very steep learning curve this week. Which was fully expected.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Bigearl wrote:Oh she's just over a year and this is her first season afield. We don't have wild upland birds where I live so it's a very steep learning curve this week. Which was fully expected.

Yep. The end result will be worth it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Today was interesting. First thing this morning about 20 minutes in, we're headed down a fence row, and pup caught scent. Darted off into the brush and I saw a little of pigs scatter. It soon turned into squealing. She just could quite get the job done. Pig was just a tad to big for her to dispatch on her own. Then as the day went on she brought me two possum's that were coincidentally playing "possum" she dropped them at my feet unscathed and proceeded on her way lol.
Managed to get a couple good points later this evening. Due to poor position for the flush coupled with bad shooting left us with only one bird in hand. That's one more than we had though.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby CohanseyDD » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:57 am

She's from extremely intelligent parents and will get the picture if you're patient...which it sounds like you're being. Hard to get the light bulb to come on without lots of wild birds.
CohanseyDD
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bigearl » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:36 am

CohanseyDD wrote:She's from extremely intelligent parents and will get the picture if you're patient...which it sounds like you're being. Hard to get the light bulb to come on without lots of wild birds.

Oh she's doing fine. It just takes time is all.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms