Multi tasking on Christmas Eve

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Multi tasking on Christmas Eve

Postby Willie T » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:13 pm

My son is home from college on Christmas break. We had a little bit of Christmas shopping left to do Christmas Eve. In true form and full of Christmas spirit, we were able to multi task. We took the Pudelpointer shopping with us and we're at the store before it opened. Killed the shopping early and were gone before the crowds showed up. We had the dog in the woods chasing woodcock by 10:00 am. Conditions were perfect. 7-10 mph steady north wind. High humidity. Temp in the mid 40's. Hunted till 3:00 pm. Made it home by 4:30, two limits in hand, a half hour before company started showing up, and narrowly avoided the dog house. Flawless execution!
The Pudelpointer is 17 months now. He is healed up from his porcupine encounter in North Dakota, and is really coming into his own. He pointed a total of 15 woodcock for us. 6 of the points yielded shot opportunities. With a three bird bag limit it was perfect for the two of us. The combination of their preferred habitat, with a strong and acrobatic flight through the woods when they flush, require shooters to be on their game. A very sporty bird.
This is Cricket with a woodcock pointed long range, between 25-30 yards. It looks open but the bird is in a thicket.
Here is the Pudelpointer delivering at heel
Lastly, my 18 year old son is all smiles here with his limit bird. Behind him is the cover the bird was pointed, shot, and retrieved from.
Hopefully wild quail a few days next week before he heads back to college.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Multi tasking on Christmas Eve

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Good hear from you Willie T. Great times for all three of you!

3 degrees here with 5 inches of snow. Spud and I took a short hunt today, he got on a bird, worked it around, got it pointed, as I closed in to flush a beautiful waving long tail rooster erupted from the snow, it folded at my shot, Spud raced to his mark through the head tall weeds and grass and retrieved to hand. Going again tomorrow.

Look forward to hearing about the quail hunt.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks AG. I enjoy the posts of your time afield with Spud. I'm jealous of the cold weather. Texas weather was my motivation to seek a slick coated dog. I have been able to keep the PP busy and on a lot of wild birds and he is putting it together. The intensity of the up close and personal point is a thing of beauty but I am more impressed by the long points a keen nosed dog throws down. November sharpies in North Dakota taught him a few lessons in that regard. This years quail hatch is not what it was last year but numbers are still at or above long term averages depending on location. I also have a late season Kansas/Colorado hunt planned for January.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Yes those sharptails do not tolerate a dog taking an extra step and I do not think they give out as much scent as some other birds do. We are heading back to Ks in Jan as well and then to your state in Feb. Minus 3 on our hunt today. Notions the birds would be holding tight only applied to the hens today. Warming into the 20s tomorrow, going to sit a deer stand in the afternoon/evening.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:30 am

Very cool Willie, your boy sure looks happy. I've got almost 5 and just turned 3 year old boys and I can't wait for them to get into shooting and eventually hunting. They both caught their first trout this summer and were "hooked!"
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:08 pm

mtlhdr wrote:Very cool Willie, your boy sure looks happy. I've got almost 5 and just turned 3 year old boys and I can't wait for them to get into shooting and eventually hunting. They both caught their first trout this summer and were "hooked!"

Yes sir! The best of times for sure. Make the most of your time with them while they are young. They will grow up into men in what will seem like the blink of an eye.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms