over pressuring quail?

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

over pressuring quail?

Postby EED » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:30 am

Novice question for you. I have two young (first hunting season) dogs. I have a small pocket of wild bobwhites (approx. 3-4 coveys) on my land, with few or none in the immediate surrounding area. I would like to let my dogs get wild bird experience on these birds, without overpressuring them or running them off. How often can we pressure these coveys without doing any harm to them? I'm not against shooting a few birds when the dogs have done their part. Just want to keep the quail around and thriving. To this point we have been out 2-3 times since Nov 1. Id say each covey has been flushed 1-2 times by us. I haven't even shot at the birds at this point.

Thanks.
EED
Pup
Pup

Re: over pressuring quail?

Postby Bigearl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:03 pm

You've flushed each covey twice in 6 weeks. I promise you the birds could care less. Birds get flushed all the time by other predators, deer passing through, cattle tromping through. You not hurting anything thing flushing them once or twice a week for sure. They'll just whistle a little and covey back up in a hour or two.
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby EED » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for the reply.
EED
Pup
Pup

Postby LongHammer » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:44 am

Start managing part of your land just for them. If they have food they will never leave. I had Gamble quail the size of nerf footballs at my last place from just distributing spent grain from brewing beer.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms