Huns in Magic Valley Idaho

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Huns in Magic Valley Idaho

Postby Billinsd » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 am

I'm visiting my inlaws in Salt Lake City after Christmas and want to hunt some upland birds for a few days. I understand the Huns are doing pretty good. What town is good to get a hotel room in? Twin Falls, Jerome, etc. How about public access areas? Does private land have to be posted to hunt, or do I need to figure that out? I've been reading up on Huns and they sound like fun.

Thanks
Bill
Billinsd
Pup
Pup

Re: Huns in Magic Valley Idaho

Postby Meridiandave » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Burley or Twin has hotels. Huns are generally found on the 100's of thousands of acres of blm land next to fields or not next to fields.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Meridiandave wrote:Burley or Twin has hotels. Huns are generally found on the 100's of thousands of acres of blm land next to fields or not next to fields.

Ha! I love it.

Kinda like when I get back to the east landing, and someone asks me where I found my walleye.

West, is my preferred answer.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Private land in Idaho has to be posted, however you will find that almost EVERYBODY posts their land. Also, you cannot hunt cultivated land, even if it is unposted. Cultivated land includes hay fields, cut wheat, etc. Anything with irrigation lines on it is also considered cultivated.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:56 am

jlw034 wrote:
Meridiandave wrote:Burley or Twin has hotels. Huns are generally found on the 100's of thousands of acres of blm land next to fields or not next to fields.

Ha! I love it.

Kinda like when I get back to the east landing, and someone asks me where I found my walleye.

West, is my preferred answer.

Ironically, that stayement is entirely true and wasnt meant to be a smartass statement. There is an old adage with huns. "They are where you find them." There is huns literally all over the magic valley. They need a permanant source of water, but beyond that they can be anywhere, there is a mix of sage and grass. Fields provide the water and in the case of grain fields the stubble.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms