Nebraska

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Nebraska

Postby bhennessy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Just got back from SW Nebraska where we had a blast chasing super wily phez and quail with four Griffs. I can't say enough good about Nebraska's commitment to habitat management and hunter access. Their open fields and waters program is wonderful and their farmers do a great job managing the OFW habitat on their property.

Definitely not the only guys in that corner of NE though. We didn't see a lot of guys at any given time, but every wheat stubble and milo field we went to had definitely seen more than a few other hunters, no matter how remote. The grasslands though seemed less trafficked and we definitely found birds in the drainages and ditches, probably because it was blowing 40 to 50 mph and 25 degrees on the day we hunted several grassland OFW areas.

Both my young pups got some amazing experience I could never get them in Louisiana and hopefully learned a few things from the two other super hard hunting Griffs (stonyridge) we met there.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Nebraska

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Sounds like a blast (pun intended), but c'mon you know the rule... pics or it didn't happen. The prairie is an amazing place.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I have not hunted NE in many years now. I mull it over as I heard the bird numbers were very good where you went. Did you shoot any grouse? Hope you got some photos.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 am

Yea, need pictures....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm

I here y'all! My ADD and I have been putting off finding a photo solution after that one we all used decided giving away hosting for free wasn't a great business plan. I'll get on it.

No grouse for us AverageGuy...didn't see any at all, but I was hopeful because the Nebraska state website (outdoornebraska.gov) showed southern NE as possibly holding some. I was super happy to get into phez and quail in the same drainage ditch though.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Can't figure out how to post the actual pic (via google photos), but I think these links should lead to the pics.

40+ MPH and 28 degrees:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fchNekCeg4yUDeyy1

Dash's first quail:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AJ3jcHPtr5Rmjl2t1

The boys on the prairie:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ooY8tK0Z8xaCxz763

Mostly I hunted them separately, but towards the end of the day I would put them both down together. In general they have had so little wild bird experience and are both pretty young that I didn't want them picking up bad habits from each other.
Last edited by bhennessy on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Messing around with Postimage.org. seems to be legit. 40+ mph of 28 degree wind pushed the birds into the draws and drainages. We hunted this below in the afternoon which in theory looked like it had lots of valleys to hunt, but unfortunately only the ridge tops were open to hunting. Lots of bird droppings, nests, etc. but they were all hunkered down in the draws!
Last edited by bhennessy on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:16 pm

bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Bear in a wheat field:
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Great looking country and super nice dogs. Thanks for sharing with us mutts.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks Rowdy, they are fun dogs with huge personalities that couldn't be more different from one another. It was great to watch the little one (8 mos) start out at my heels, then begin to range between the three of us hunting in a row and then within 20 minutes he was ranging out to 50+ yards. You could almost hear the gears grinding as his instincts began to kick in.

It was my first time on the prairie so its probably good that it was a 17 hour drive, or I'd try to make it every weekend.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms