Finding a Few

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Finding a Few

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:45 pm

A few shots from this past week. Hunting public land with low bird numbers but finding birds on each hunt so feeling fortunate. Trying out a new image post site.

Covey Point from this morning. I got my phone out but it would not wake up with my gloves on, so I used my teeth to get my glove off, woke up the phone and snapped a couple of photos. Then waded into the heavy cover to flush and a covey of quail blew up. I fired twice through heavy brush and dropped a hedgeball dead as a hammer on the first and a broke wing cripple on the second. Waded through heavy trees, brush and briars to my mark, not at all sure how precisely I was on it, and asked Spud to hunt dead. He did diligently, eventually expanding and then showing up with the live cripple. Not a mark on it when I cleaned it. I appreciate a soft mouthed dog.

Spud pointed the Rabbit, it broke, and a short sight chase ensued coming right at me. The rabbit saw me, panicked, and turned back. That was a mistake and Spud delivered the rabbit alive at heel. I fumbled the handoff and the rabbit was on the run again. Spud delivered it alive again and I did better this time. It is cut up, soaking in cold water now with plans to brown it, cover it with cream of chicken soup and bake for dinner tonite.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Finding a Few

Postby orhunter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Great stuff Kent. Rabbits is good eats. Used to get a few while Chukar hunting but one day they were gone. Think the Golden Eagles probably ate what I didn't shoot?
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Great story. Jealous of that dog.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Nice work. Pheasants, quail, and rabbits definitely make for some good eats. Good job Team Spud.
(Photos look good on desktop, cut off on smartphone. I have the same problem. Gotta resize em)
Last edited by mtlhdr on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Helluva mixed bag... and that dog continues to impress me. Thanks for sharing.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms