One of Those Days... Great Dog Work, but...

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: One of Those Days... Great Dog Work, but...

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

orhunter wrote:It's easy to shoot over the top of Chukars.

Incredibly easy. Those birds fly straight downhill. You have to remind yourself to aim under them.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:39 pm

I always remind myself after I miss.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 pm

orhunter wrote:I always remind myself after I miss.

I usually say a bad word after I miss...
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:26 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:
orhunter wrote:I always remind myself after I miss.

I usually say a bad word after I miss...

I always blame the gun. But I'm generally shooting big, slow roosters.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:56 am

Rowdy,
Im really trying to help you. So pretend Im your best friend.

if you are thinking about lead, you are looking at the barrel, how else can you measure lead if you don't look at the distance between the barrel and the bird?

If you look at the barrel, you stop your swing, you will not EVEN KNOW YOU ARE DOING IT. This is really important and as your friend I feel obligated to repeat it, YOU WILL NOT EVEN KNOW YOU ARE DOING IT.

I know because i took some lessons and every time he told me i stopped my swing, i thought he was a lying.

If the bird is not the only thing that is crisp clear focus, you will likely miss.

Orhunters correct, we miss over chukars a lot because they are heading downhill. ( though sometimes when they appear to be heading downhill its actually a rising shotSo your gun should be set up to shoot 50/50. Since you didn't say you had it fitted, it is likely shooting higher than it should for a chukar hunter. (or perhaps most anyone except a dedicated trap shooter or pheasant hunter who is shooting mostly rising birds or clays)

But we miss more often than not because we lose focus on the bird. the bird should be vivid in your mind when you pull the trigger.

If you are focused on the bird, your brain will correct for lead. DONT THINK ABOUT IT .
If you love your dog, go to OSP and start doing their flashlight drills. It really helps you learn to focus on the bird not the barrel. You can do it at home without firing a shot.

Do your self, your dogs, and your friends a favor, get a copy of Rollin oswalds shotgun fitting secrets. its cheap. check your gun out.

And lastly, if you are a true chukar hunter and are hunting them for revenge, dump the O/U and get a three shot gun.But thats just your friend talking! I did, my berreta 686 hasn't killed a chukar in many years!!!!(It does fit me though).

Remember, chukars are a non native species!!!
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 am

First of all, Kiger, I am not your friend. We have never met. We have never spoken on the phone. I don't like you and you know it, so stop your fakey "friend bull$#*!" and let's call a spade a spade. Secondly, I shoot a semi-auto. When did I ever say I shot a double? Or did you just blindly assume that because I said I fired two shots in my post? The reason I shoot a semi, is because of the third shot. Typically on chukar the first two shots, the birds are in range. By the third one they are out of range. But with chukar I like the third shot saved for those late flushing singles that often happen. And most of all, Kiger, as I've told you in the past... f*** off.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 am

Rowdy,
Frst of all, its sad we have never met or hunted together. You would find me a genuinely honest and good person.
I didn't say i was your best friend, I said , "Pretend" Im your friend. If I made a mistake it was that you were shooting a double gun. For that i apologize.. Other than that, No mistakes.

You can either take my advice or not. Doesn't matter to me. You can improve your shooting or leave more birds for others.
Complain to people on the internet that you shot crappy or not, doesn't matter to me.

In the grand scheme of things, getting pissed at my advice is about as miniscule as it could be.

We all have days when we shoot bad. Ive had more than my share. But they are all attributable to one thing. We are not putting the shot string where it should be.. If you have a gun that fits you properly. Then there must be another reason for the miss? It is most often a lack of focus on the target. It is most likely looking at the barrel trying to measure lead.

So you never answered the question, have you had your gun fitted? Well have you????????? don't throw f bombs at me if you haven't.

If you read my posts, my advice was this, make sure your gun fits. ( see rollin oswalds book).That there are drills you can do that are not my drills, but drills recommended by professional instructors. That it is difficult to shoot good when one is standing on level ground,let alone a shale slide.

Im really struggling as to why you replied with such aggression to my posts??? They were simply an effort to help you????

We went on our annual hunt last week. I go t into a covey of 30 or more birds and had a great opportunity for a triple. Multiple birds in the air, cant focus on one, got none. Later Had a very long crosser across the draw, missed the first two shots because i was measuring lead, third shot the bird came into FOCUS and it dropped.

Somehow Im satan because I recommend you get your gun fitted and maybe go to a website with some drills to help you shoot better, get a lesson, all this after YOU complained about YOUR shooting!!! Really??????

It can be hard to be open minded. But very rewarding.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Rowdy, if I switch back and forth from waterfowl (1500) to upland (1300) it leads to some frustrating shooting. I tend to over lead waterfowl with those fast shells and you never catch them when you are already out front. :crazyeyes:
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms