First Ever December Grouse

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First Ever December Grouse

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 pm

So I've been a duck hunting fool lately... But alas this morning, the ducks and geese were rafted up in the middle of the big lake, with no weather to move them. So after 3 hours of watching ducks work 50 to 100+ yards from Rowdy and I, I pulled the deeks and headed back to the truck, with Rowdy off leash, as usual. About a half-mile back to the truck, he went on point in the alders. I loaded 3 shells into the Beretta and walked in to flush. This hen ruffed grouse flushed at 15 yards and I shot her dead at 30 yards with Fiocchi duck loads. Rowdy went out for the retrieve, ignoring the whitetail buck we blew out with the shot and brought her back. I've shot a lot of September, October and November grouse but with this warm weather, this December grouse was a first for me. An icing on the cake to an otherwise bland "cake." Chasing those damned chukar tomorrow with Rowdy and my buddy's Brittany.

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: First Ever December Grouse

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Great looking bird, only ones I've shot were September birds in WY a few years ago. Chukar are on my to-hunt list for the future.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:29 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Great looking bird, only ones I've shot were September birds in WY a few years ago. Chukar are on my to-hunt list for the future.

They are fun and frustrating at the same time... Damn I love hunting chukar though...
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 am

RowdyGSP wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:Great looking bird, only ones I've shot were September birds in WY a few years ago. Chukar are on my to-hunt list for the future.

They are fun and frustrating at the same time... Damn I love hunting chukar though...

Sounds similar to my love / hate relationship with prairie chicken. Thankfully there has been more love over the last 5 years.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am

Good Chukar (and Hun) hunting does sort of spoil a guy. But if they don't hold, it's very frustration as well.

Eric: Glad you're adjusting to your new surroundings. One of these days you gotta start putting the hurt on the deer and elk.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 pm

orhunter wrote:Good Chukar (and Hun) hunting does sort of spoil a guy. But if they don't hold, it's very frustration as well.

Eric: Glad you're adjusting to your new surroundings. One of these days you gotta start putting the hurt on the deer and elk.

Thanks Harvey, I will have resident license in another month and a half, so next Fall I will be after either deer or elk. Wasn't going to pay the non res fee of $300 for deer or $450 for elk.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:43 am

Way to make something outta nothing. For whatever reason, our grouse season in CA is only a month long plus 2 weeks on the front end for archery.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms