Back on the Prairie

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Back on the Prairie

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Spud and I are in SD. Crazy hot today. I have never been a fan of the 10am start time for pheasants but it becomes a real problem when the temps are already 60 at 10am and headed to 70.

Spud and I took an hour long loop around some wheat stubble and sunflowers looking for grouse. He had one find but the birds went up out of range. The pup has developed some nice wheels in open country. The tiny black speck in the center of this photo is Spud. At one point he was over a fold in the terrain and still going out at 537 yards when I toned him to swing back my way and he immediately did. I like to let him roll in open country. Until the birds prove they will not hold well on any given day I figure it is our best bet to find them in the first place. And I like to watch it.

A telephoto zoomed in shot of Spud getting after it.

At 10 am we swung down into a draw after roosters. Bird numbers are the lowest I have seen in SD but Spud pointed 5 roosters and 11 hens on our way to a 3 shot limit. Lots of points, relocating keeping track of moving birds and pointing them again. First rooster went down at my shot but was a broke wing crippled dropped into heavy cover. Spud got an excellent mark, ran to it, sprung around and then disappeared into the cover. Arrived coming to me a short while later carrying a head up live rooster. Sure do enjoy my dog.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Back on the Prairie

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:12 pm

AG: Some day you’ll make a real huntin’ dog out of that black beast.......

Seems odd. Every time my girl chased down a cripple, they come back with half their feathers and never their tail feathers.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 pm

What corner of SD are you in? Was thinking of heading out later this week. Still have half my ND license to use as well. And there's always MN birds too...

Choices choices.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm

orhunter wrote:AG: Some day you’ll make a real huntin’ dog out of that black beast.......

Seems odd. Every time my girl chased down a cripple, they come back with half their feathers and never their tail feathers.

Yes that happens more often than not. Did not see what happened when he caught up with the running cripple in the cover but he arrived with the live broke wing rooster and a firm grip on its midsection from the back side. To your point the rooster on the left is missing most of its tail.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 pm

jlw034 wrote:What corner of SD are you in? Was thinking of heading out later this week. Still have half my ND license to use as well. And there's always MN birds too...

Choices choices.

PM sent.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Seems to me that you and Spud are very fortunate to have each other! Really enjoy hearing about your adventures together. Looking forward to future posts.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Another day of Blessings.

Spud Retrieving a Big Cock Prairie Chicken

Had 2 roosters and one Prairie Chicken in my vest, still working for the 3rd rooster. Spud got on a runner, moved, pointed, moved, pointed ... Rooster went up long but swung downwind giving me a crossing shot at 45-50 yards. I fired twice hitting it but the rooster flew on hanging a leg. I marked it down in a patch of cattails approximately 250 yards from where it got up and Spud and I headed that way. I went to the downwind side of my mark, Spud and I waded into the cattails and I asked him to Hunt Dead. He did. Seemed like maybe 5 minutes went by and I was worried we were going to loose the rooster, but Spud kept at it. I could see nothing but was tracking Spud with my ears. He stopped, then pounced! I knew what that meant, and he showed up next to me with the live rooster momentarily. This is a photo taken from the Cattail patch looking back up the draw well past that tree where the rooster flushed long ahead of Spud's moving point.

Found a spot I liked for a photo.

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Living the dream. Love it, even though I read a while back your an elitist.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:35 pm

randomnut wrote:Living the dream. Love it, even though I read a while back your an elitist.

:lol:
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Great day!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms