Shells for the old LC Smith

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby Bigearl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Got a few old SxS and would like to get them out and limber them up a bit. What do you'll like to feed your older guns? Do you tend to stick with just modern target loads? Order from RST? Roll your own?
Bigearl
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby Wanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm

You probably should be careful with an old Elsie. RSTs would be a good option. Elsies were famous for cracking just behind the sideplates. An older gun may also be a little brittle.
The low pressure shells kill birds just as well.
Wanderer
Pup
Pup

Re: Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby bhennessy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 am

RSTs only for my Lefevers. Great people and great shells. Personally I shoot their paper hulls because they weigh less and the smell is addictive after you shoot them. Sounds weird, I know, but try them.

No offense intended, and I'm sure you know this, but just make sure you know the chamber length of your guns. RSTs come in 2 1/2 and 2 3/4. Many old shotgun failures are brought on by shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in a gun chambered for 2 1/2.

They tend to run low on some gauge and shot combos early in the season (well, early for those of us down south). This year it was 16 gauge #6 so I had to pay a bit more for copper washed for my upcoming Nebraska trip.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms