Shells for the old LC Smith

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby Bigearl » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Got a few old SxS and would like to get them out and limber them up a bit. What do you'll like to feed your older guns? Do you tend to stick with just modern target loads? Order from RST? Roll your own?
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby Wanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm

You probably should be careful with an old Elsie. RSTs would be a good option. Elsies were famous for cracking just behind the sideplates. An older gun may also be a little brittle.
The low pressure shells kill birds just as well.
Wanderer
Pup
Pup

Re: Shells for the old LC Smith

Postby bhennessy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:35 am

RSTs only for my Lefevers. Great people and great shells. Personally I shoot their paper hulls because they weigh less and the smell is addictive after you shoot them. Sounds weird, I know, but try them.

No offense intended, and I'm sure you know this, but just make sure you know the chamber length of your guns. RSTs come in 2 1/2 and 2 3/4. Many old shotgun failures are brought on by shooting 2 3/4 inch shells in a gun chambered for 2 1/2.

They tend to run low on some gauge and shot combos early in the season (well, early for those of us down south). This year it was 16 gauge #6 so I had to pay a bit more for copper washed for my upcoming Nebraska trip.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms