Idaho Waterfowl Opener

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Idaho Waterfowl Opener

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm

Camera got completely soaked and is now completely dead so just a phone pic. The weather was perfect for everything except duck hunting and the birds didn't want to cooperate, but I managed to scratch out 2 greenwings and 3 gadwall. Rowdy had a real nice 100 yard retrieve on a gadwall, fighting his way through the thick weeds.

"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Idaho Waterfowl Opener

Postby LongHammer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Where I come from 5 ducks that does not include a sawbill is a banner day. Looks like a great time. Walked in to quick sand last year guiding the dog in on a long cripple. Sunk till I was floating by the time I got out i lost a camera and an Iphone. Lesson learned I am saving up for some gopros
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Where I come from 5 ducks that does not include a sawbill is a banner day. Looks like a great time. Walked in to quick sand last year guiding the dog in on a long cripple. Sunk till I was floating by the time I got out i lost a camera and an Iphone. Lesson learned I am saving up for some gopros
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:16 pm

LongHammer wrote:Where I come from 5 ducks that does not include a sawbill is a banner day. Looks like a great time. Walked in to quick sand last year guiding the dog in on a long cripple. Sunk till I was floating by the time I got out i lost a camera and an Iphone. Lesson learned I am saving up for some gopros

Dang, quicksand! I am glad I don't have to deal with that. You must live in the South?
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Arizona we hunt in a river mostly. I never expected it either but sure as shooting the ground turned to liquid right under my feet. Knee deep to neck deep real quick. As I tried to swim out the hard mud around the hole I made just kept turning to liquid too. As my waders filled up the thought did occur to me that I could drown surrounded by 16 inches of water. I didn't use my shotgun as a boat paddle but I jammed it into the mud to pull myself along. Sorry about the hijack.
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am

LongHammer wrote:Arizona we hunt in a river mostly. I never expected it either but sure as shooting the ground turned to liquid right under my feet. Knee deep to neck deep real quick. As I tried to swim out the hard mud around the hole I made just kept turning to liquid too. As my waders filled up the thought did occur to me that I could drown surrounded by 16 inches of water. I didn't use my shotgun as a boat paddle but I jammed it into the mud to pull myself along. Sorry about the hijack.

Wow That is crazy. And here I thought quicksand was just something in Indiana Jones movies.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 am

LongHammer wrote:Arizona we hunt in a river mostly. I never expected it either but sure as shooting the ground turned to liquid right under my feet. Knee deep to neck deep real quick. As I tried to swim out the hard mud around the hole I made just kept turning to liquid too. As my waders filled up the thought did occur to me that I could drown surrounded by 16 inches of water. I didn't use my shotgun as a boat paddle but I jammed it into the mud to pull myself along. Sorry about the hijack.

Thanks for bringing back what I thought was just an irrational childhood fear.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms