Great Trip

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Great Trip

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Let's see if I can figure out how to share some photos:
First Some Scenery Shots:

Now Some Hunting Photos
We stopped to air Spud in MT just before crossing the boarder into Alberta. This is Spud Pointing a Single Hun, which is the first one he ever smelled.

Spud pointing a covey of Huns about 40 yards down the steep hillside below him. The scenery was too good to pass up as we hustled towards his point. My Brother and I each fired once and took one bird each out of the covey moments later.

Spud made a point on the lower end of this thicket. I approached saying a silent prayer that it was not a porcupine. Nothing flushed when I entered the lower end of the thicket. Spud released and worked cautiously forward and pointed again in the upper end of the thicket this time. I went past him and a covey of Huns erupted from the steep slope up ahead of me. I took a 3 shot triple, with birds spread out from left to right across the hillside above me. I thought mentally ok Spud, it is up to you now to recover them.

Not a great photo but was a great moment. This is Spud coming in with the last of 3 Huns I tripled on off his point in that thicket. It was a high five moment for both of us.

So what do your dog recovers the last of 3 Huns and is panting hot? I sit down on the hillside, refect and take some photos to remember the moment by. These next scenery photos are all shot from the very spot I sat down, just panning the camera from left to right while Spud took a well deserved and needed breather.

Spud and I with our limit of Huns that day:

We hunted Waterfowl a couple of days.
Spud with a face full of Greenhead.
BW Teal

We left our decoys out after our first evening Waterfowl hunt. Muskrats ate the lines off of 8 of them. Took this photo while hunting.

One Morning we headed out after Huns. This Alpha Male and his mate were extremely bold. The Male stood at the edge of shotgun range issuing challenge barks at Spud. Spud took off on a dead run eager to oblige him and my Whoa whistle command and ecollar stimulation halted that. A standoff went on too long and we had to move Mr. Alpha Coyote on his way ... Beautiful big furred animals up there.

So this is my favorite photo of the trip. It is edited and cropped so you can see Spud better. He is pointing a covey of Huns about 50 yards out ahead of him and was over 200 yards from me when he went on point. I took this as my Brother and I hustled towards the point. Wish I could have gotten more photos of Spud on that point, but Huns are wary and will not wait forever. In fact this covey flushed when we were still not within good gun range. Per normal I was packing my 6lb Beretta auto 12 with 11/4 oz 6s at 1330 FPS. I shot once and knocked a bird down at what was something well over 50 yards when the covey flushed.
Spud retreiving that bird.

Another Hun in a another pretty spot.

My Brother knocked down a Hun on a long shot that fell over the terrain. I did not see it and he was not sure it fell. I took Spud over the contour to the steep hillside and asked him to hunt dead. He eventually hit scent and worked towards it and went on point, broke, tracked, pointed again, broke, tracked and pointed again, then dove in and snatched the broke wing running cripple out of the air. We had one teal dive and never come up. Other than that teal, Spud recovered every bird that hit the water or the ground, dead or alive.

Another Point of another MT Hun while airing Spud as we began our long drive home.

We had planned to move east and hunt Sharptails when they opened but 18 inches of snow blew in and we packed up and headed south just ahead of it. I stopped at a random good looking Sharptail spot on our way through Wyoming to air Spud. He is 20 months old now. I have been handling him very sparsely from the git go, wanting him to expand his range in open country. We got into a hillside of Sharptails at this stop and Spud responded well in expanding his range. I love to watch a dog work birds in open country.
Pointing Sharptails in Wyoming
Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 43 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Great Trip

Postby TruAblePup » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Stunning!
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby RowdyGSP » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:55 pm

That right there is about the best country a guy and his dog should be allowed to roam... thanks for sharing. Keep us updated on the Alberta trip!
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Sounds like a blast. No pun intended. Thanks for the story and photos.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Very, very nice. Great way to start the season. Thanks for sharing.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:50 pm

What a great experience! Happy for you and your dog! Great bird country eh?
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:03 pm

You bet ja!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Jealous doesn't seem like a strong enough word.

Great post.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Great breakdown of your trip. Sounds like your dog is turning out to be every bit as good as you hoped.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you Gentlemen. Glad you enjoyed viewing.

Post up your hunts as well. Training, testing, and breed advice is fine but it is hunting season!
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 am

nice hunt recap and pictures,,,,I enjoyed it
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Postby ANick » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for the ride-along! Gorgeous country and plenty of fun for man and beast.

So, are you thinking that Spud might be worth keeping for another year or is it too early to tell yet? :)

You two keep the grins going... :)

Nick
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby watermen » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for sharing a great adventure!
watermen
Started
Started

Postby mrelite » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Great pics and a pretty impressive pup! Thanks for posting them up.
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby LongHammer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm

That looks great. Posts like this make the hunting thread the star of the forum. Don't shoot to many of those greenheads I need a few to make it to Arizona. I get tired of shooting sawbills and coots.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Hunting & Firearms