Not Looking Good

Places to hunt, firearms to use, problems encountered

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Not Looking Good

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Hell, I'm having a tough time just finding grouse here in Idaho... a buddy and I are doing the chukar opener next weekend, more just to see in person what the numbers are like, but not expecting anything too good. I've seen a few quail around and shot a few grouse, here in the North woods, but nothing to write home about.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:10 am

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 pm

ForestDump wrote:
AverageGuy wrote:I have resident bird hunter connections in both states. Habitat and Crops are both in very poor to extremely poor conditions particularily in the western halves. I made a change of plans accordingly.

Reports I've gotten from trialers, hunters and ranchers I've spoke with have said the drought was a bit worrying but it's still the Dakotas. Drought has been great for the Huns with large coveys being seen and the sharpies/chicken numbers has remained as good as they were. Some of the trials in ND have been canceled unfortunately but that had more todo with the grounds and fire hazard than the bird numbers. Drought has affected most of the west/Midwest this summer we've been on fire for the past couple months but had a few trials just recently in Montana and the Dakotas show nice strong bird numbers.

It's not all doom and gloom, good luck with everyone's fall/winter trial season and hunting season.

The chickens and sharptails are natives of the plains, they handle drought and any other weather conditions better than pheasant. Was similar in Kansas over the last 6 years.
jarbo03
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby J D Patrick » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:35 am

thanks for the link

been researching where we (my pup and I) might travel to in order to get on wild birds a little more consistently. They are a little thin here until the woodcock flights come through.

and as others mentioned, always a duck or three,
J D Patrick
Started
Started

Previous

Return to Hunting & Firearms