Moderator: Moderator Pack

Not Looking Good

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 am

AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Not Looking Good

Postby STait » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Changed my plans to head to KS instead of SD after 15 days in WY.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Copy That.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:29 pm

Dang. That doesn't look good. I think I'm heading to MT this fall, probably similar story there.

Chukar appear to have had a rough time in NV too.

NV Chuk 2017.PNG

Hopefully our local quail did alright, though this winter/spring might have been tough on the mountain birds.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 pm

I am going to try my luck in Alberta vs ND, end of Sept/early Oct. Going to make a second scouting run for teal next week. Been scouting doves every morning since running our UT 2 weeks ago. Pup is kicking it up a notch which I love to see, but at 18 months he is still very much a work in progress and needs another season of birds. I have two marsh boats with long tail motors on a double trailer and am hoping to take up some slack with more water fowling this year, but a guy never knows how that will go until it unfolds... Love it, Live for it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Exactly. Just have to adapt. Ain't a hunting forecast in the world that would keep me on my couch...
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:36 pm

We aren't going to our farm in S.D. this year for that very reason . Never know if we can hunt ducks what with the lottery draw and we know there aren't many " Ditch Chickens "
:| :| :|
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:48 am

AverageGuy wrote:I am going to try my luck in Alberta vs ND, end of Sept/early Oct. Going to make a second scouting run for teal next week. Been scouting doves every morning since running our UT 2 weeks ago. Pup is kicking it up a notch which I love to see, but at 18 months he is still very much a work in progress and needs another season of birds. I have two marsh boats with long tail motors on a double trailer and am hoping to take up some slack with more water fowling this year, but a guy never knows how that will go until it unfolds... Love it, Live for it.

Got into lots of sharptail and hun in Saskatchewan last week.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ForestDump » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Numbers still pretty good compared to many places in the country. Areas still showing 2-5 phez a mile.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 pm

ForestDump wrote:Numbers still pretty good compared to many places in the country. Areas still showing 2-5 phez a mile.

That is true but there is more to the story. The CRP has been released for haying, pastures are in very poor condition, and food plots/crops are burnt up offering nothing for wildlife. So many places where a person may have had good hunting in the past will not offer anything this year. Sure hope there is not another killer winter or this problem could get alot deeper and longer.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Hun, sharptail and chicken numbers look like they've held stead/ had a slight bump. Still not a bad trip if people are looking to go to the Dakotas. Even more so if people keep taking it off their list.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm

I have resident bird hunter connections in both states. Habitat and Crops are both in very poor to extremely poor conditions particularily in the western halves. I made a change of plans accordingly.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:15 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I have resident bird hunter connections in both states. Habitat and Crops are both in very poor to extremely poor conditions particularily in the western halves. I made a change of plans accordingly.

Reports I've gotten from trialers, hunters and ranchers I've spoke with have said the drought was a bit worrying but it's still the Dakotas. Drought has been great for the Huns with large coveys being seen and the sharpies/chicken numbers has remained as good as they were. Some of the trials in ND have been canceled unfortunately but that had more todo with the grounds and fire hazard than the bird numbers. Drought has affected most of the west/Midwest this summer we've been on fire for the past couple months but had a few trials just recently in Montana and the Dakotas show nice strong bird numbers.

It's not all doom and gloom, good luck with everyone's fall/winter trial season and hunting season.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:53 pm

The Sharptail numbers were down 30% last year in ND from the prior year. Down further this year. Pheasants numbers are WAY DOWN in both states.

I hunted through the droughts of the 80s. Low thin cover coupled with extremely dry dusty conditions makes the dog/bird work much more difficult especially once the birds have had an encounter or two.

I will not be sitting on the couch but it is a good year to try out some new areas if a guy is so inclined. I enjoy Quail and Waterfowl hunting too ...
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I love me some pheasant, but this might be the year of the ruffed grouse. That will be a good challenge for the pup. She really struggled on them last year. Numbers are up in these parts, so that might help.

Waterfowl should still be good.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Hunting & Firearms